Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

un-planned / mis-timed / surprise children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you tell your tot that they were the result of an unplanned pregnancy?

Options:

Yes...it doesn't make them any less loved.

No--I want them to feel wanted

Other--share

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

I have more than one friend that refers to herself as "an accident" and all are fine with the knowledge.

Odd age gaps between siblings or parents telling them they were a "welcomed surprise" are two telltale signs.

But regardless of age, does a child need to know that they are the result of a missed pill or condom breaking?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't see how their conception is something I should discuss with my children. 

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

My children were surprises, not accidents. :)

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Yes, I will tell them. My oldest was born 8 weeks after I graduated high school so obviously he's going to know it wasn't planned at that time. My parents got married, then planned my sister but I was a surprise, born 13 months later. It has never made me feel any less loved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this
"Mom, how was I born?"
"Well, Timmy, the Trojan condom company has faulty condoms."
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

My oldest knows that he was unplanned (I was only 16 so it is kind of obvious). My dd knows that she was in my belly when dh and i got married (we were already engaged with a date set). It doesn't bother them because it has never been talked about as a megative thing.

I was a surprise to my mom and she always threw it in my face "your dad fucked up my life when he knocked me up"

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My son was TOTALLY unplanned. I was 18. He will always know that he was not planned but he KNOWS he is VERY loved.

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Your mom sounds terrible. I am always sad for parents that can't share in the happiness a child brings to their lives. They have no idea what they are missing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My oldest knows that he was unplanned (I was only 16 so it is kind of obvious). My dd knows that she was in my belly when dh and i got married (we were already engaged with a date set). It doesn't bother them because it has never been talked about as a megative thing.

I was a surprise to my mom and she always threw it in my face "your dad fucked up my life when he knocked me up"

LuLuThatsWho
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Other.

I have four "unplanned" children.  Telling them that they were a surprise or unplanned is one thing.  Telling them that they were born because a condom broke is different.  No need to go into that much detail.

Jlpmmom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
My oldest was born before we were married, so he knows that he was a great surprise, not accident.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I was a surprise, but my parents were married and planning to have kids...just not so soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)