Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whiny toddlers!!!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

When dd starts pitching a fit for no reason we put her on the whiny couch. She has to sit there until she finds a solution to her internal turmoil. What to you do when your LOs have a melt down?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samiam2919
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Your toddler has to find a solution to her internal turmoil??? I think your expectations for your toddler are a little high, JMO.

dudestfd
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM
3 moms liked this

yes, she randomly starts whining. We set her on the sofa a few min later she stops so she can go play again. Kids are smarter than people give them credit for.  

tpickle
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I so agree with this.  We can teach kids from the very start to take control of their emotions.  They don't know how to blame their problems on others yet.  Ha ha.

Quoting dudestfd:

yes, she randomly starts whining. We set her on the sofa a few min later she stops so she can go play again. Kids are smarter than people give them credit for.  

melissaaytes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I send my 3 yo to her room. I HATE whining!!!

tsbarnes
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM

My boys (both 4) don't whine because we never let them. Some people have different expectations I guess. We live in a no whining house. Instead we talk about what is upsetting us. Why are we mad or sad or are we just bored. But def no whining!

kidlover2
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Walk away
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

we send the 3 yr old to her room where we dont have to listen to her flipping out when she gets told no

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I tell them I can't understand them until they use a normal tone of voice.  If they keep whining, I restate my request for a normal tone.  After a few times, they get it and then calm down. 

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell him that until he can stop whining and speak to me like a person, I'm not going to acknowledge him. He'll whine for a few minutes, realize it's getting him nowhere, and go back to speaking calmly and saying please and thank you. I know he needs a nap when he cries when I tell him no for something.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS is 4.5 and if he starts his whining, I walk away and tell him, "I don't talk to kids who whine and kids who whine have to go in their room and lay down." That generally makes him stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured