Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if my daughter wanted to date a muslim boy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

(she is 16)

I would not be happy! And I would probably do anything I could to stop her. 

Would you be happy if your child dated a muslim?

Edited: It has nothing at all to do with the color of his skin!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (791-791):
MomaOfFive
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I think the one thing that I haven't seen along most of this thread is the fact that Muslims are not permitted to date. So, how into Islam is the boy if he's dating when it's considered 'haram' - unlawful or forbidden according to Islam?

I'm not Muslim, not one bit other than co-workers and growing up in a multi cultural area and really did not know much about their social rules until my own daughter became friends with a boy, who is Muslim at school. They've grown close in friendship and even discussed 'dating' and he at first mentioned his father did not allow him to date, to her she thought it was because she's not Muslim however after a summer of talking NOT dating, not once, he finally told her it's against Muslim belief to date, to which my daughter flipped out and felt like he strung her along. So, after a discussion and explaining that he's being truthful in that fact and trying to see this as an excellent opportunity to become friends rather than have a boy constantly pressure her to be intimate, she actually liked the idea then apologized to him for snapping out(and cussing up a storm! ugh!)  Her father and I both have strict dating rules, such as anyone interested in dating MUST come to us and discuss it and we have questions and also must meet the parents(one or the other or both whatever the living situation is) basically, parents are a pretty good indicator to how the child behaves in MOST cases(not ALL!). Most boys ran away from her when she said it, except for one who turned out to be a HUGE loser in the end.

So, to those who say they'd not let their daughter date one, if you weren't so ignorant in your knowledge of Muslim tradition/Islamic Laws, you'd know already they're NOT ALLOWED TO DATE.

My daughter finds this a relief instead of a curse and I think in the end, they will both have a treasured friendship(Of course provided that wasn't an excuse NOT to meet his parents or us but I'm an optomistic person and see good before bad but am cautious) she's not ready for a 'steady' or 'serious' boyfriend and today most kids act like they're married when they date and become obsessive. Dating does not teach kids much other than preparing them for the heart break of a divorce after devoting time and energy in the relationship. Learning about each other and forming real bonds of friendship are more important to my daughter then holding hands at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN