Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dh wants my DD to babysit for free all summer

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I agree with you

I agree with your DH

I am somewhere in the middle

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

Well actually every other week during the summer. DD is 16 and pretty much the neighborhood babysitter, she loves kids and is great with them. She has already had 2 families ask her about a summer job, while the parents are at work 8-6 Monday through Friday. I think this is a great idea for her to make some money, the one family is offering her $250 a week to watch their two kids.

She mentioned it last night over dinner and DH said "wait, who's going to watch DD" (meaning his DD, she is 8 he does shared equal custody with his ex so she will be with us half of the summer). Now, last year DD did watch her when she was here but she wasn't offered a full time position from anyone and the agreement was, if she watched her while she was here, we would upgrade her to an iPHONE and pay the extra amount each month. So I said "well, we could talk to your ex about putting her in the YMCA summer camp". His ex works full time too we could just spilt the cost and she could go the whole summer. He said that his ex's sister would probably watch her for free on her time so we are on our own for ours.

Ok so I said I would call the Y and see if the do a week by week thing. He said "why are should we pay the Y when DD (my DD) could just take her with her. I said "well that would be up to the family she picks for the summer, they might not want her bringing an extra kid because then their kids would have less of her attention. Plus, it still cost money, we would still have to pay DD". It came out that he feels that she should do it for free because we provide for her. I reminded him that we also provide for his DD, she lives with us half the time and he pays CS and no one is expecting her to "earn her keep".

Number one, I think it should be up to DD if she even wants to take her and I think we should pay her (I think $100 a week). DH feels that it should be something she does just because she is apart of the family and if neither of the families are willing to let her take her, she should hold out for another offer (if another offer comes along).

Also, DD is my youngest but when her older siblings babysat for their siblings, I always gave some kind of incentive.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Ask your dd and see what she says.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I agree with you

When my teen babysits her sisters in a regular basis. I pay her.

I think if she wants to take her sister on her baby sitting job she needs to ask the family and then you guys should pay her as you would any sitter
tarakay0417
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I agree with you. Your dd shouldn't have to babysit for free even if it is her step sister.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sharbear42371
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I agree with you.  It should be up to your dd.  She sould be paid but a family discount would be nice. :)

OwlMama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I absolutely agree with you. I would insist she get paid. That's not fair to make her watch a kid with no pay, sister or not.

BREN_da
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this
You feed her. You clothe her. You take her on vacations, etc. it's not free. Your hubby has my vote
Eta didn't read the entire post. changed my mind. She can work the job she gets paid for. Dh can find another sitter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting tarakay0417:

I agree with you. Your dd shouldn't have to babysit for free even if it is her step sister.

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you on this one.  She has a paying gig she could take.  It is not like she is just going to be home all day (even then, I don't think it would be fair for her to sit for free).  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

She has said that if the family says it's ok and if we will pay her she will do it but if SDD is sick, we have to find someone to take care of her because she will not take her sick, nor will she miss to stay home with SDD. Also, she said that if SDD cases problems over there she won't take anymore (I don't blame her, it's a nice job offer, I wouldn't want to lose it).

Quoting hudson.maggie:

Ask your dd and see what she says.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

We do the same things for SDD

Quoting BREN_da:

You feed her. You clothe her. You take her on vacations, etc. it's not free. Your hubby has my vote

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)