Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about schools that are changing or banning traditional Valentine's Day celebrations?

Posted by   + Show Post

Schools Replace Valentine's Day With Friendship Parties & Where's the Fun in That?

Posted by Ericka Sóuter on February 14, 2013

A lot of things have changed since the time we were kids. There are about a million cable channels, cartoons on 24 hours a day, and don't get me started on iPads so user-friendly toddlers own them. But some things have changed that I never thought would. Specifically, Valentine's Day. These days, traditional Valentine's celebrations are being replaced with "Friendship Parties" in some schools and others are even banning the festivities completely.

For some kids, gone are the days of buying those cute little Snoopy or Spider-Man Valentine's cards, then filling them out for each kid in the class. I remember being so excited about handing them out and getting a stack of my own in return. Some years, the teacher would ask us to bring in shoe boxes to decorate with hearts and things in order to collect our cupid-inspired haul.

But this year, 24 schools across the country are experimenting with Friendship Parties instead. The goal is to encourage kids to be good to their friends and talk about caring and sharing. They still acknowledge that it is Valentine's Day, said one principal, but they make the day about recognizing each other as friends and how we should treat our friends.

I think that is a very wonderful and admirable notion -- but isn't that something schools should be encouraging every day anyway? I like the idea of an old-fashioned Valentine's party with the room decorated with red hearts and heart-shaped cookies and candy treats being passed around. Not because it encourages romance or love, per se. It's just a fun, colorful, and sweet holiday to share with our kids.

But I have to say, these friendship parties are better than nothing. There are some schools that don't even acknowledge the day at all. My son is in one of them. They actually don't celebrate any holiday there. When I first heard this, I was totally taken by surprise. My heart ached a little knowing that he would never walk in the door with a card he made for mommy for Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, or Christmas. In every other way, it is the perfect place for little kids to learn and grow. But in the end, I realized that just because a school doesn't do it doesn't mean we can't celebrate the day ourselves. So when these holidays come around, we put on our own cookie decorating party and invite his classmates over. It may not be as great as the school parties that I remember, but it still makes the day special for him.

What do you think about schools that are changing or banning traditional Valentine's Day celebrations?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My DD's school did a valentine's day party

Sasha-
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I think its sad but also a sign of the times.  Kids are learning early to be politically correct.  Plus school districts are protecting themselves from lawsuits.

RainyDayMom78
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

"But this year, 24 schools across the country are experimenting with Friendship Parties instead. The goal is to encourage kids to be good to their friends and talk about caring and sharing. They still acknowledge that it is Valentine's Day, said one principal, but they make the day about recognizing each other as friends and how we should treat our friends."

That sounds  like every episode of Care Bares I ever watched... Caring is Sharing... does anyone else remember that? I wish they would bring back good moral cartoons, the stuff out these days is so full of crude and rude humor and not to mention all the sitcoms that seem to encourage disrespect, that it is funny and cool to talk back to your parents as if they are your peers. Anyhoo that is another topic all toghether...

I would say so far we have not run across these "friendship parties", we have had some holiday's not celebrated, but those ones usually had to do with a religious holiday, ie. Christmas and Easter, so the school is trying to keep that church and state thing seperate. That is okay with me, we are christians but I would rather we celebrate those Holidays at home, esp. since we do not do Santa Claus, Christmas Trees or the Easter Bunny in our house, we focus on Jesus.

However I totally do not mind if the her class has a holiday celebration, those are fun and great time of sharing with her classmates. It is fun to decorate and make cards and give gifts... I do not mind if the school minimizes the sugar in the room for these parties. For example today her classroom is having a Sundae Ice Cream Party for Valentines, no other cookies or candies besides the ones that come w/a card. I thought that was a great idea, they have decorated there room and for the last 30-45mins of class they are going to enjoy their party, they will each get to decorate their Sundae's with various toppings and enjoy.  On that note I think it should be a classroom decision as to wether or not how and what holiday they are going to celebrate, the kids look forward to these fun breaks and I am sure if they talked to the parents of the classroom many of them would like to help out.

Happy Valentines!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM
When I was a kid, we didnt have an obesity epidemic and our academic standards werent pathetic. Kids are getting fatter and dumber every year. Until that changes, more focus needs to be put on education and less on social nuances like school parties

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Did you think that way as a kid too?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see the point of parties at school. School should be for learning, period.

amberstars
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

All class parties, pizza parties, and birthday parties are no longer allowed in my old school district.  I think it sucks.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I think they are kids and they deserve to be happy I loved getting valentines day cards or any party at school growing up

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Big fkn whoop.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow you sound like a joy to be around.

Quoting Anonymous:

When I was a kid, we didnt have an obesity epidemic and our academic standards werent pathetic. Kids are getting fatter and dumber every year. Until that changes, more focus needs to be put on education and less on social nuances like school parties

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Did you think that way as a kid too?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see the point of parties at school. School should be for learning, period.

abecee
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

They are Friendship Parties.  No one is allowed to bring valentines to just their friends, its everyone or no one.  They are even to give a valentine to a class member who bullies them. What is the point of that?

Dcjgar01
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting imafuswb:

I think it's completely moronic of these schools, that's what.

Exactly, it is getting ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)