Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about schools that are changing or banning traditional Valentine's Day celebrations?

Posted by   + Show Post

Schools Replace Valentine's Day With Friendship Parties & Where's the Fun in That?

Posted by Ericka Sóuter on February 14, 2013

A lot of things have changed since the time we were kids. There are about a million cable channels, cartoons on 24 hours a day, and don't get me started on iPads so user-friendly toddlers own them. But some things have changed that I never thought would. Specifically, Valentine's Day. These days, traditional Valentine's celebrations are being replaced with "Friendship Parties" in some schools and others are even banning the festivities completely.

For some kids, gone are the days of buying those cute little Snoopy or Spider-Man Valentine's cards, then filling them out for each kid in the class. I remember being so excited about handing them out and getting a stack of my own in return. Some years, the teacher would ask us to bring in shoe boxes to decorate with hearts and things in order to collect our cupid-inspired haul.

But this year, 24 schools across the country are experimenting with Friendship Parties instead. The goal is to encourage kids to be good to their friends and talk about caring and sharing. They still acknowledge that it is Valentine's Day, said one principal, but they make the day about recognizing each other as friends and how we should treat our friends.

I think that is a very wonderful and admirable notion -- but isn't that something schools should be encouraging every day anyway? I like the idea of an old-fashioned Valentine's party with the room decorated with red hearts and heart-shaped cookies and candy treats being passed around. Not because it encourages romance or love, per se. It's just a fun, colorful, and sweet holiday to share with our kids.

But I have to say, these friendship parties are better than nothing. There are some schools that don't even acknowledge the day at all. My son is in one of them. They actually don't celebrate any holiday there. When I first heard this, I was totally taken by surprise. My heart ached a little knowing that he would never walk in the door with a card he made for mommy for Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, or Christmas. In every other way, it is the perfect place for little kids to learn and grow. But in the end, I realized that just because a school doesn't do it doesn't mean we can't celebrate the day ourselves. So when these holidays come around, we put on our own cookie decorating party and invite his classmates over. It may not be as great as the school parties that I remember, but it still makes the day special for him.

What do you think about schools that are changing or banning traditional Valentine's Day celebrations?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I wanted to tell my DSS's school it was against our religion to celebrate Hallmark holiday. 30 kids in his group alone, plus we had to buy candy or cupcakes or whatever for their little party, then they required teacher cards for their "instructors" & those who work there, that's almost fifteen people! Ridiculous.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

... It's innocent and fun.  Why suck the life out of EVERYTHING?

Your kid shouldn't be forced to bring Valentine's, candy, whatever.. But your child also shouldn't be forced NOT to..  My son had so much fun today exchanging Vday cards.. He came home in the BEST mood.. I'd hate to take such an innocent thing away..

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Boy, so glad you're not a teacher, bet you WOULD NOT be populr with any of the kids, what a stick in the mud. Boring.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see the point of parties at school. School should be for learning, period.

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM

IKR, I want to move to where she is and make her my new best friend!!!!!! Yehawwwww!!!!!

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Wow you sound like a joy to be around.

Quoting Anonymous:

When I was a kid, we didnt have an obesity epidemic and our academic standards werent pathetic. Kids are getting fatter and dumber every year. Until that changes, more focus needs to be put on education and less on social nuances like school parties

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Did you think that way as a kid too?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see the point of parties at school. School should be for learning, period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

what aboutthe kids that don't get any cards because they are the odd child or not like by her peers and that child goes home feeling like they are not good enough for a card...my dd came home today and was crying that she got no valentin cards or candy from any of her friends...i think schools should ban the holiday just cause it hurts the kids that dont' get anything and that how these kids feel...so think of that when you say that school are moronic

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM

i never understood why it was celebrated in schools anyway.  Is Hallmark and American Greetings paying them?

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Why not talk about love even if it isn't the romantic kind. The day is about celebrating love so why not discuss and celebrate the love they share with their family and friends instead of romantic love.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
That's weird. I was the odd child and even I got a few cards. I still don't think they should ban it. My feelings were hurt too because most left me out but I still really enjoyed the party. I was going to be left out anyway but at least on that day we got a party, cookies, and punch.

Quoting Anonymous:

what aboutthe kids that don't get any cards because they are the odd child or not like by her peers and that child goes home feeling like they are not good enough for a card...my dd came home today and was crying that she got no valentin cards or candy from any of her friends...i think schools should ban the holiday just cause it hurts the kids that dont' get anything and that how these kids feel...so think of that when you say that school are moronic

tisaynababae
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I am so bummed for my kids. My sons' school sent a note home stating this was the last year for Valentine's day parties.I think they tied it into the Obama mandate for kids to be healthier in school.I get that but at least let them pass out those little cards. oh well.
piesmama09
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It irritates me even more when they mess with Halloween and Christmas .....that really pushes my buttons!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN