Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about schools that are changing or banning traditional Valentine's Day celebrations?

Posted by   + Show Post

Schools Replace Valentine's Day With Friendship Parties & Where's the Fun in That?

Posted by Ericka Sóuter on February 14, 2013

A lot of things have changed since the time we were kids. There are about a million cable channels, cartoons on 24 hours a day, and don't get me started on iPads so user-friendly toddlers own them. But some things have changed that I never thought would. Specifically, Valentine's Day. These days, traditional Valentine's celebrations are being replaced with "Friendship Parties" in some schools and others are even banning the festivities completely.

For some kids, gone are the days of buying those cute little Snoopy or Spider-Man Valentine's cards, then filling them out for each kid in the class. I remember being so excited about handing them out and getting a stack of my own in return. Some years, the teacher would ask us to bring in shoe boxes to decorate with hearts and things in order to collect our cupid-inspired haul.

But this year, 24 schools across the country are experimenting with Friendship Parties instead. The goal is to encourage kids to be good to their friends and talk about caring and sharing. They still acknowledge that it is Valentine's Day, said one principal, but they make the day about recognizing each other as friends and how we should treat our friends.

I think that is a very wonderful and admirable notion -- but isn't that something schools should be encouraging every day anyway? I like the idea of an old-fashioned Valentine's party with the room decorated with red hearts and heart-shaped cookies and candy treats being passed around. Not because it encourages romance or love, per se. It's just a fun, colorful, and sweet holiday to share with our kids.

But I have to say, these friendship parties are better than nothing. There are some schools that don't even acknowledge the day at all. My son is in one of them. They actually don't celebrate any holiday there. When I first heard this, I was totally taken by surprise. My heart ached a little knowing that he would never walk in the door with a card he made for mommy for Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, or Christmas. In every other way, it is the perfect place for little kids to learn and grow. But in the end, I realized that just because a school doesn't do it doesn't mean we can't celebrate the day ourselves. So when these holidays come around, we put on our own cookie decorating party and invite his classmates over. It may not be as great as the school parties that I remember, but it still makes the day special for him.

What do you think about schools that are changing or banning traditional Valentine's Day celebrations?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

We decorated boxes and the kids brought in Valentines. Just no junk or candy allowed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

i agree that they should still have the party, but no cards and candy....cause not everyone gives...my dd is in and almost black school and the student dont' like her cause she is white and i know that...i am trying to move to give her a better schooling, i though her being with all kinds of people would be better for her to learn to work with all kinds...but i feel bad when she come home cause the girls are not including her..she is a very friendly girl

Quoting Kaya529:

That's weird. I was the odd child and even I got a few cards. I still don't think they should ban it. My feelings were hurt too because most left me out but I still really enjoyed the party. I was going to be left out anyway but at least on that day we got a party, cookies, and punch.

Quoting Anonymous:

what aboutthe kids that don't get any cards because they are the odd child or not like by her peers and that child goes home feeling like they are not good enough for a card...my dd came home today and was crying that she got no valentin cards or candy from any of her friends...i think schools should ban the holiday just cause it hurts the kids that dont' get anything and that how these kids feel...so think of that when you say that school are moronic

FashionMommy12
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it really sucks for the kids because Valentines Day is only legitimately fun when you're a kid. Even if you're married or with someone,  7 out of 10 times its stressful, dissapointing or you just skip it.

eztwins
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously what kind of parent allows their children to not have a Valentine for every kid in their class!? I can't imagine condoning that kind of behavior.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

What happened to holidays being the actual holidays?? and if you "didn't" celebrate it in your house you still joined in at school to learn about it??

Thankfully, my daughter goes to private school so, all holidays are still celebrated as their respective holiday. I couldn't imagine having a "fall harvest" or winter party - what fun is that??

Kids should celebrate the holidays that they are supposed to be - that way they all can learn about the different holiday and be more open to different cultures instead of "banning" them because one family doesn't celebrate it. If you don't celebrate it, I have no problem with that but let the kids that do have that and maybe the person that doesn't can "celebrate" what holiday they do and they can all learn about each others holiday!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Im not the original anon to make that rply, but I agree and I did think the same as a kid.  I think they should be pulling back on all these parties and silliness and get on with teaching academics.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Did you think that way as a kid too?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see the point of parties at school. School should be for learning, period.

lindilouwho82
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

DD's third grade class put together "care packages" for service men for Valentine's Day. This is of course on top of a little fruit and drink party that allowed the kids to socialize why they decorated their cards to put in the care packages. Some parents let kids bring in extra little treats; suckers, fun dip, gum. The teacher had asked the kids what they wanted to do. They had the choice to either; do care packages, do valentines and crafts for the retirement home or do valentines and crafts to be delivered to the children's hospital.

DD's school, her teacher and the parents of most the children that attend are greatly involved in the community. We as a whole (not just DD's class) always try to do something nice all year long for those that need it the most. Are care packages necessarily a V-day tradition? No. But it show cases character and appreciation towards individuals that sacrifice for the greater good.

I was asked to buy toiletry items; toothbrushes, toothpaste, bath soap and instant hand sanitizer. Another parent was asked to bring "goodies" like chewing gum, pringles chips, sunflower seeds, jerky etc. Others were asked to bring the construction paper and stickers for each kid to make a card(s) (21 kids, 3 cards a kid, 21 cards a package). I loved helping out and being there to watch them get excited about their packages "going over seas."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this

3 school parties a year is hardly the cause of obese kids and failed academics. LAZY PARENTS are imo. Why drain every single ounce of fun out of school? Students LOVE those small end of the day parties.

Quoting Anonymous:

When I was a kid, we didnt have an obesity epidemic and our academic standards werent pathetic. Kids are getting fatter and dumber every year. Until that changes, more focus needs to be put on education and less on social nuances like school parties

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Did you think that way as a kid too?

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see the point of parties at school. School should be for learning, period.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM

In my opinion, I like the idea however, I also think the idea of sending kids cards is also a positive influence too. Perhaps we could re-direct the market by making friendship/inspirational cards instead?

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My DD had a party today, and everyone passed out cards and candy. I was surprised by how MUCH CANDY she brought home though. lol It was like Halloween. All of the classrooms where I teach had an end of day party. The kids love it. I even got a box of candy from a student. :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)