Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Holy cow, pretty sure she would be in big trouble

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

DD is 5 and home schooled. Right now she is learning about community helpers. Today she was instructed to draw a picture of herself as a what she wanted to be when she grows up. She drew a picture of herself as a Marine (dad is a Marine, served three overseas combat tours.)... No problem right? Except then she added a gun.

Now, when her father has deployed, we always explained to her that he was leaving to fight the bad guys. At her age that was best for her. She asked questions such as how he will fight them, what he will use, etc. He told her that he had a gun to keep him safe because the bad guys also had guns.

She knows gun safety, that some people use guns to hurt people to be mean, and some people keep guns to protect them against bad guys.

I am sure I would get a phone call if she did this in public school =/

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM
No you would not have. My oldest shoots a Bob gun with her dad and has drawn a picture of them hunting. Her teacher thought it was great.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Maybe its a location thing.... Most people in this area do not have guns, with the exception being military.

Where do you live?

Quoting lovinglife0682:

No you would not have. My oldest shoots a Bob gun with her dad and has drawn a picture of them hunting. Her teacher thought it was great.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

depends on the school lol

lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Southern California. Hunting is not big here at all.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Maybe its a location thing.... Most people in this area do not have guns, with the exception being military.

Where do you live?

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

depends on the teacher.  I got a call from a teacher and cps was called because my son displayed "sexualized behavior"

His behavior?

He was wriggling on the floor pretending to be a snake.  The teacher was disturbed over the "repetitive humping motions"

Teachers are like everyone else, some are idiots and some have common sense.

crazedmama06
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My son draws them in almost all of his pictures of him and DH and I've never gotten a call. DH is military as well. 

LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Probably. Like I said above, I think HERE it would be a big deal but in other areas where gun ownership is higher, I don't think it would be.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

depends on the school lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
It probably depends on the school then. There are kids getting in trouble for doing just this.

The joys of homeschooling!! Love it!
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I doubt it (even though you're trying awfully hard to hate on the public schools.)  My son was obsessed with guns at that age.  Pretty much every pic he drew had guns in it.  And he was far from alone.  At the parent-teacher conference, the teacher told us that almost all the boys did the same thing.  A good teacher understands child development and knows that's perfectly normal.  

Alejandra10
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM
We live in chicago and no you would not get a call. You would get a call if the drawing said something bad or a threat or something of that nature. In this situation no you wold not
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)