Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Forcing girls to dress out for gym???

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 694 Replies
2 moms liked this

My MIL told me my SIL is failing gym because she doesn't dress out. She failing with 45 and it's only the second month in their semester system. She, like me, suffers low self esteem and it's hard for her to be naked with a room full of judgmental girls. So she just doesn't dress out. Her fears are not groundless, girls can be extremely cruel and it's easy to see why someone would want to dress out.

My MIL tried talking to her gym coach but he said it's a requirement and they have bathrooms rooms for the "shyer ones". My SIL said they only have 3 stalls and they are all filled by the time she gets there. I don't understand why that's even a requirement for gym. It's should be optional and you would think they would be just a little more understanding of those, boy or girl, who are uncomfortable with changing in front of other people. If you're going to demand something as unnecessary as changing clothes, you should at least provide some privacy. GYM is a requirement for them to graduate. If they fail her for something so stupid, they will have hell to pay. It's just fucking ridiculous. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Can't she get dressed in a bathroom stall?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM
24 moms liked this

unless she wears active clothes and sneakers EVERYDAY then dressing out is a requirement. it was even when i was young. i assumed it was the norm. its not the schools job to provide self esteem, it is their responsibility to keep them active.

TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
12 moms liked this
Why do you think it should be different for girls and boys?

It is a requirement. She is probably making excuses about the stalls being taken. I am pretty sure 3 girls aren't hanging out in the stalls the entire time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
7 moms liked this

*shrugs* get to class earlier, change in another bathroom if it is that much of an issue.. to fail a class over something so simply fixed is what is fucking ridiculous to me... *and I was the shy girl that changed in the showers*

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM
There are only 3 and they are filled by the time she gets there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Can't she get dressed in a bathroom stall?
emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM
11 moms liked this

Why doesnt she wear her gym clothes under her school clothes so she doesnt have to "undress" in front of other girls? I am sure she id not the only girl with self esteem issues (Im willing to bet atleast 50% of the girls in the locker room have issues), but the other girls do what they are supposed to and get dressed and go to gym. Gym is a requirment and there is nothing you can do if she fails because of something SHE did herself, going to gym with out gym clothes is the same as going to math with out your math book, she is unprepared, if she failed math because she was always unprepared would you be mad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Meh. Rules are rules. I've never heard of a school that didn't dress out for gym. Didn't bother me when I was there. I'd walk around completely naked in the locker room because I took showers after gym. Not a shit was given and I was a shy girl. 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM
6 moms liked this

It's a common requirement.  Her self esteem is low?  Because?  Is she overweight/out of shape?  Then gym would HELP.

April620
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

unless she wears active clothes and sneakers EVERYDAY then dressing out is a requirement. it was even when i was young. i assumed it was the norm. its not the schools job to provide self esteem, it is their responsibility to keep them active.

April620
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)