Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

those that have flown with babies!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies

we are flying across country in may when our daughter will be 6 months old. it says babies under the age of 2 yrs old do not need their own seat and can sit in your lap, although they highly encourage you to purchase them their own seat and put them in a car seat. all the airlines we have looked at also offer infant tickets fares.

anyways I was just wondering for those that have flown with a baby, do you think buying an extra seat for the baby is necessary? we do have to bring her carseat with us cuz we will be there for a week and don't want to have to rent 1. but we were just gonna check it with our luggage. so do you think its worth it/necessary to get her a seat as well or no?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I always bought my child their own ticket. I was thankful for the extra space and being able to put them in the car seat/seat especially if they slept
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
omyheart83
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM
How long is the flight? I flew 8 hours with my 1 year old on my lap and we were fine, honestly. I think a 6 month old would be easier than a one year old, so my advice would be to save your money
Josie_P
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM
My dd was a month old when we flew from Russia to New Zealand. We had a lot of loooong layovers. I didn't buy a seat. I just used my moby wrap. If it isn't a particularly long flight, is just keep LO in your lap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alimorgan
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I flew with my daughter from the time she was 3 weeks old , then every 3 months from Florida to Pa to see  my family until she was 2. I never purchased an extra seat, I did bring benadryl (IF NEEDED) I always packed a book bag just for her, it contained anything including a couple changes of clothes . You do not need that extra seat. It's a waste of money. I would suggest the aisle seat, as a courtesy to the other passengers in your row so you don't have to step over them or ask them to move if you need to take the baby to change her. the car seat is not charged as extra luggage  most of the time, check with your airline, I only paid for my bag but always sent the seat through with luggage

NoahandEliza
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM
I say save your money. My babies have always sat in my lap even if we buy an extra ticket. And the car seat thing...use the saved money to rent one. What if something happens to your checked bags? You could be out a carseat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM

that makes sense. I just worried cuz she only 2 1/2 months old right now and she hates her car seat! she screams the whole time she is in it. but it would be nice to have to put her in if she fell asleep on the flight.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

I always bought my child their own ticket. I was thankful for the extra space and being able to put them in the car seat/seat especially if they slept

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I purchased the extra seat.
Mrs.AmandaD.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I didnt buy a ticket for the baby, but they gave me an extra seat on the flights that werent full.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I did NOT buy a seat for my baby, however she was only 2 weeks old..

brebugmom91
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM
No I don't. She wanted to be held the whole time anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)