Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL is a little upset with me. What is your take?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: Am I right or is MIL right?

Options:

MIL is right

You are right

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 202

View Results

My MIL recently split up with her boyfriend who she was living with. He was so upset over the breakup that he gave her a 30 day eviction notice, notorized and all.

So she asked if she could move in with us, just temporarily untill she can save the money up for a place of her own. We said yes BUT we refused to make ourselves or our children uncomfortable just so she can bring in all her huge expensive ridiculous furniture. MY furniture will stay where it is as will my childrens. She is in the smallest bedroom. Shes pissed. Im sorry but im not going to squish my 2 kids into a room that is too small for their things just so she can put a 72 inch flatscreen in her bedroom.

Her excessive shopping boarders on obsessive. The woman brought in 50 pairs of just tennis shoes and complained that the closet in her room wont fit anything and she needs the closet in our (master) bedroom for her shoes and purses. I again said no. Now she is pouting and packing all her stuff into boxes for storage. And complaining about the high cost of a storage building and how I am being inconsiderate becase she is the guest. FFS. Im being MORE than generous allowing her to live with us and not pay any damn bills while she gets back on her feet.

In my opinion, she can STFU. Hubby is staying out of it other than to reinforce to his mother that he and I pay all the bills and I care for the home all day so what I say goes. So he is backing me up, just sort of passively. I wish he would be a bit more direct with her.

Anyway, what say you cafe moms? Am I being inconsiderate? Or is she overstepping the boundaries?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM

bump

glycerinej
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM
No, you are right... its YOU and YOUR kids home... she is a guest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You're not unreasonable. She's wacko. Tell her if she doesn't like it to get her own place. PITA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I would do anything for my mil, including give up the master bedroom all together. But I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.
saucymama519
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

F that. What did she think you were going to do? Pay for a storage unit for YOUR things so she could put all of her crap in your house while you payed all her bills and fed her? I say again. F that.

Livv066
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd tell her to take it or leave it. Sorry you have to put up with that nonsense. I wouldent budge either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

She needs to rent her own apartment if she has that much stuff to be bringing in.

If I had the cash, and felt led to do this, I'd consider helping her with half of the down payment or something...  it's better than having her with you guys.   Or even all of it...

But that's it... I'm not signing a lease or being a co-signer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

For this very reason DH and I both vowed we would never let each others mother move in EVER!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Ive never EVER heard of someone having to stay with relatives and then demanding said relative to get rid of their furniture to accomodate theirs and move their children out of their rooms so they could have it.

How outrageous!

She can get storage for her things and stay in the small room.  

smh.

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

Ive never EVER heard of someone having to stay with relatives and then demanding said relative to get rid of their furniture to accomodate theirs and move their children out of their rooms so they could have it.

How outrageous!

She can get storage for her things and stay in the small room.  

smh.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)