Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DD's teacher ignored... *edited*

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is sensitive to red dye. It makes her crazy. It makes her hyperactive & emotional as all get out. It brings about tantrums and is just generally unpleasant. Any amount of it seems to set her off. We've discussed this with her teacher (who has seen what it does to her) and requested she not give her food or drinks containing it. Today, being Valentine's day, we knew her class would be filled with it. We sent apple juice, rice krispy treats and cookies that she could have. We even sent a bag of dye free lolly pops, in case they had candy in class. When I picked DD up today the teacher said "DD did really well today. She said you told her she could have a little bit if red dye so she just chose a few of her favorites." I was LIVID. I get my kid lied and I dealt with that but she believed a 5 year old. If I say my kid can't have something don't you think it's common sense to check before believing (in the face of temptation) that something changed? I know it's not an allergy in a medical sense and no health problems follow a slip up but the teachers irresponsibility has me so mad. DH says I need to let it go but I really want to schedule a conference and tell the teacher how angry I am and how wrong she was. What if it could have had medical consequences? we trust this lady to keep her safe. if it were your kid what would you do?

*edit* The red dye allergy, along with several other food allergies are on her medical forms, on file at the school. We send lunch, snacks, treats etc so the teacher doesn't have to read labels and guess. My daughter was in the wrong for lying and faced several consequences for it. Believe me, little bit answered for her part in things. She had to write a note to the teacher admitting that she did not tell the truth, explain what prompted her to lie and tell how she could be assured she wouldn't do so again. She had to sit out at our Valentines tea party this evening too. This mama doesn't mess around with lying. The reason I am upset is I feel like the teacher who I trust and pay to supervise my child failed to do so. Fortunately this allergy wasn't deadly, for her, others could be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

You're an idiot. It most certainly is an allergy..that or my kids' pediatrician isn't knowledgable. Get your facts straight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Drop it. It's not an allergy. I'm sure you just didn't want ot deal with a hyper kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
The blame here is on your daughter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
My son was a monster for a week while he was on steriods for croup. He was a maniac. I had no clue steriods caused that until I brought him back in. I'm like he's an emotional nut he was running from me screaming crying bug eyed everywhere all at once. I get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

My children also have a red dye allergy and it's a bitch to deal with. You clearly have no idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh boy here we go again. So was she a raging little princess when she got home?

catrig
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Have a conference.  

seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I get it about the red dye, really.  This teacher is in charge of other children, too, and if your daughter fibbed to her that's bt. you and your little one. I'm sure the teacher had a lot going on today. 

The teacher is there to teach.  She is not there to monitor your daughter's diet.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I would deal with this with my daughter, she would something taken away for lying to the teacher.  

I'd just reiterate to the teacher that NO, she's not allowed to have dye ever... and to please check with you in the future.

However, I'd definately discipline my kid.  

daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

i would say that you just write a note informing the teacher that your dd lied and that if she tries to say its okay again, to please contact your prior. or that you will send a note if it is okay. causing a huge issue may not be in your dd's best interest.

WithHope
Believe me, my daughter got in trouble.. She had to write an apology note to the teacher admitting that she did not tell the truth, explain what prompted her to lie and tell how she could be assured she wouldn't do so again. She also had to sit out at our Valentines tea party this evening. This mama doesn't mess around with lying. She's also been held accountable for the tantrums she's thrown an still held to the same behavioral expectations she would be otherwise. My frustration is that the teacher should have known better and while this isn't the end of the world, DD has several other allergies that would be if the teacher ignored them. I don't expect the teacher to read labels and babysit, I provided treats. I pack lunch everyday, I send snacks. While I know it's a pain for DD to deal with I try to give her a normal life. She has fruit snacks, juice, cookies etc that she CAN have. Even in regards to this party I went out of my way to send enough things she wouldn't miss out. I just don't see what prompted the teacher to disregard something she knew we felt strongly on. But, I see the need to pick battles as suggested and will just let her know on Monday that our stance on dyes, as well as other food items she can't have (at the direction of her doctor) will not be changing. Hopefully that works!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal

no way. you do not need to schedule a conference. YOUR dd is to blame, not the teacher she lied to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

YES!!! One of mine was prescribed those for a cough also....Oh man, I didn't know.....and it was terrible! You could tell she didn't want to act the way she was acting...so strange.

Not sure if you're the original one, and I wasn't trying to be rude but SO many people don't believe us about the red dye thing...until they SEE it. Then they understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son was a monster for a week while he was on steriods for croup. He was a maniac. I had no clue steriods caused that until I brought him back in. I'm like he's an emotional nut he was running from me screaming crying bug eyed everywhere all at once. I get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

My children also have a red dye allergy and it's a bitch to deal with. You clearly have no idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh boy here we go again. So was she a raging little princess when she got home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)