Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DD's teacher ignored... *edited*

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is sensitive to red dye. It makes her crazy. It makes her hyperactive & emotional as all get out. It brings about tantrums and is just generally unpleasant. Any amount of it seems to set her off. We've discussed this with her teacher (who has seen what it does to her) and requested she not give her food or drinks containing it. Today, being Valentine's day, we knew her class would be filled with it. We sent apple juice, rice krispy treats and cookies that she could have. We even sent a bag of dye free lolly pops, in case they had candy in class. When I picked DD up today the teacher said "DD did really well today. She said you told her she could have a little bit if red dye so she just chose a few of her favorites." I was LIVID. I get my kid lied and I dealt with that but she believed a 5 year old. If I say my kid can't have something don't you think it's common sense to check before believing (in the face of temptation) that something changed? I know it's not an allergy in a medical sense and no health problems follow a slip up but the teachers irresponsibility has me so mad. DH says I need to let it go but I really want to schedule a conference and tell the teacher how angry I am and how wrong she was. What if it could have had medical consequences? we trust this lady to keep her safe. if it were your kid what would you do?

*edit* The red dye allergy, along with several other food allergies are on her medical forms, on file at the school. We send lunch, snacks, treats etc so the teacher doesn't have to read labels and guess. My daughter was in the wrong for lying and faced several consequences for it. Believe me, little bit answered for her part in things. She had to write a note to the teacher admitting that she did not tell the truth, explain what prompted her to lie and tell how she could be assured she wouldn't do so again. She had to sit out at our Valentines tea party this evening too. This mama doesn't mess around with lying. The reason I am upset is I feel like the teacher who I trust and pay to supervise my child failed to do so. Fortunately this allergy wasn't deadly, for her, others could be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
krazykiddles
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Your daughter lied and the teacher had no reason not to believe her.  Did you give the teacher and school a note from the doctor about this allergy?  If not the blame is on you and your daughter.  It is a holiday that you were aware of the red dye being around her today so I would have had it in writing.  If there isn't a note or picture it isn't a problem.

WithHope
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
... She's 5. I get she was in the wrong but who believes a 5 year old? Especially one in a room full of sweets!

Quoting Anonymous:

The blame here is on your daughter.

RiotPixie
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Is she on Concerta? My niece was like that on red dye.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Your daughter lied - she is the one  you should be angry with. Plenty of parents let their rules slide for holidays and special occasions. Just let  her know that your daughter lied and to stick with the original plan you guys worked out. There is no reason for a conference, a simple email would suffice. 

WithHope
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Yes, it is on her allergy form and has been discussed at conference. We told her that to simplify things we would provide all food she could have.

Quoting krazykiddles:

Your daughter lied and the teacher had no reason not to believe her.  Did you give the teacher and school a note from the doctor about this allergy?  If not the blame is on you and your daughter.  It is a holiday that you were aware of the red dye being around her today so I would have had it in writing.  If there isn't a note or picture it isn't a problem.

1likeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM
If you are mad you should be mad at your daughter for lying to her teacher and not following her rules.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I told my child's school that they are allergic to food dyes so they wouldn't fight me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM
She probably thought the lie sounded reasonable. It's not like a deadly nut allergy.

Quoting WithHope:

... She's 5. I get she was in the wrong but who believes a 5 year old? Especially one in a room full of sweets!

Quoting Anonymous:

The blame here is on your daughter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Your the idiot in taking it personal. I was replying to the OP. She said her daughter was "sensitive" to red dye and it wasn't a medical emergency.

There is a differene in being sensitive and having an allergy! Trust me I know, because my son has both. Ask your pediatrician. Stop taking things as a personal attack.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're an idiot. It most certainly is an allergy..that or my kids' pediatrician isn't knowledgable. Get your facts straight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Drop it. It's not an allergy. I'm sure you just didn't want ot deal with a hyper kid.

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I think you need to let it go. Your DD lied. End of story.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN