Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this illegal??? Please help. Update1 UPDATE 2 (after the cops)

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 61 Replies

My mom is having problems with her neighbors. I don't want to go into the back story, its too much to type, its on here somewhere. 

Anyway.

My brother is 16. He was in my mom's backyard earlier today, with his friend, and they lit a fire in the fire pit. Completely legal, not even breaking a neusance law or anything.

He turns around to see my mom's neighbor, standing on a chair in her backyard (the yards are joined by a privacy fence), filming him and his friend.

Is that illegal? My brother was in his own yard, not doing anything wrong, and the neighbor is video taping him without his consent? 

Please answer quickly, I jsut found out about this

Eta: My mom lives in New Jersey

Update 2:

Thank you ladies. She is calling the police now. This happened earlier in the day. I'm not sure why she didn't call them earlier, she was more freaking out, but she is calling them now and she said she woudl call me after she speaks to them. I will update after I hear back from her

Update3:

I finally heard back from my mom. She called the cops, they came over and talked to her. Apparently, if a person wants to attatch survailence cameras on their house and point their view into the neighbors backyard...they are completely allowed to do that. As long as the camera itself is on their property. So stupid.

Basically there is nothing my mom can do, but the police are writing up a report of some sort and adding it to the case file. Several of the township officers are acting as witnesses on my mom's behalf when this case goes to court next week. 

They also said that my brother was doing nothing wrong and he and my mom are completely in their right to burn a fire in their fire pit in their own backyard, so if the crazy neighbor attempted to file some type of complaint for it, she would be turned down.

The entire thing is just ridiculous though, it really is

Thanks for all your input earlier ladies. :)

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

You would have to check the laws in your city, county and state.  Laws can vary.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Yes its leagl. My neighbor did this to me for years.

scperdomo
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I would think.... no clue though, so heres a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM
You would have to check privacy laws in your state , but yes this can be illegal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armywife13143
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

because your brother is a minor i think it is. your mom should still call the cops and make a report. I think it is actually concidered peeping. Just call your local department and they can answer for you

minnesotamommie
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Either way it's creepy...
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I don't know but here's a bump

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Creepy
Rlmama00
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Just call the cops. It could be considered harassment. They will let you know if they can do anything or not.
Aeonix
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
What a freak.

Sorry I'm no help. :/ I don't really know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)