Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my toddler developmentally slow?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
She is 19 months and speaks about 10 words total and only a few of those regularly.
She understands just fine and nods/shakes her head, she communicates effectively without speaking. Her pedi did not seem concerned at her 18 month well check.
I have concern because she has a tongue and lip tie. It was evaluated months ago and it was decided to reassess her near two years old and decide if the ties would cause speech issues.
But I just read a post here about a woman being told her toddler was gifted and nearly every reply said 20 words is standard/average.
So my dd is behind then? Ugh I'm so nervous about the reassessment. If she has to be clipped then it will require anesthesia for her for the first time.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3mommyandwifey
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM
My 2 year old DS says about 20 words if that I was worried just because his sisters talk for hi. He understands everything so I told yes told his pediatric that I want a early intervention person to come to my house and work with him. First appointment is Tuesday. Yay but I think she is fine if you are really worried have someone come to ur house and work with her. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Thank you! I hope you make good progress with your ds.

Quoting 3mommyandwifey:

My 2 year old DS says about 20 words if that I was worried just because his sisters talk for hi. He understands everything so I told yes told his pediatric that I want a early intervention person to come to my house and work with him. First appointment is Tuesday. Yay but I think she is fine if you are really worried have someone come to ur house and work with her. Good luck

mandee1503
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I would seek a second opinion. If only to be reassured she's fine, or if they feel she needs to be evaluated further, they can refer out.

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM
She sounds fine and dandy. Anya didn't speak until almost three, hell my son at two can say more sentences than she did.
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
All kids develop differently, just remember that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM
All kids are different. I wouldn't worry or borrow trouble until there is a reason too. That reason may never come :)

My friends child who is the exact same age as mine doesn't speak even close to the amount of words mine does. There is ansolutely nothing wrong with he. She just isn't verbal. She is much more physical than my kid and hit all those milestones long before my kiddo did.
kelly617
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

It doesn't sound like she's behind to me...
Just like some kids walk at 8 months....some walk at 14 months

Same with talking...if she can communicate without talking then in her little mind she's thinking "why bother its harder"
She'll do it eventually...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM
My son is a smart cookie, and he did amazing in a lot of areas, however his speech was really behind. Not in a "the doctor was concerned" sort of way , but as a parent comparing my child to other children in his age group, he was behind. He was a lovey, kind, smart kid, with a good vocab in signing, but speech wasn't something he was really into, and then, just as stereotypical as it sounds, he had a language explosion, and that is generally how his speech has developed. Behind, behind, behind, giant catch up, behind, behind, behind, catch up.

As another poster, my son nailed it physically, he was crawling at 5 months, walking at 8, and can rock climb like a champ. Physically, he is a sturdy billy goat. So cliche, but kids develop differently.

There is no harm in talking to someone else about the speech issue, and I have read that a tounge tie can hinder speech development, but, in all of the studies I read, it seemed to be more of an issue of word formation, not the acquisition and use of the words (so they would speak, but had difficulties with word groups and pronounciation), but that is just from me poking around in my own (a random, LC suggested he had a tounge tie at the hospital no one agreed with her, but I looked into the topic just in case she wasn't as awful as she had seemed.)

sweetmomma326
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Both of my kids have tongue ties.  My oldest just caught on all of a sudden and he is fine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal.
Remember not all children are the same.
My DS crawled @ 5 months, walked @ 8. But he's 14 months now & only says three words. Mama, Dada & corrola.
According to his doctors he's supposed to be sorting shapes, speaking at minimum 20/30 words, shaking his head yes / no. Responding when told no. Turning the pages of board books.
Pshh please! He jabbers 20/30 words, in God knows what baby language. He turns pages in board books, when he slings them across the room.
He responds to no, with a HA look like I'm not stopping!
He sorts shapes, block fits the round hole?
lol
Give her time. Before long you'll be saying, be quiet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured