Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rude a** parents

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:32 AM
  • 24 Replies

I was asked to throw the valentines party for DS' classroom, since the "room mother's" kid was sick all week. All of our parties are a potluck, starting with lunch in the classroom, followed by dessert and games. The teacher sends a newsletter home about the party and potluck, asking parents to bring something (juice, paper plates, snacks, utensils, fruit, etc) 2 weeks ahead of time, along with reminders.

So I made cupcakes last night and got all the shit for the games ready. I figured I would check this morning on what parents donated, and pick up the few remaining items that we needed.

You guessed it. Not one fucking thing was donated. Nada! Zero. Zilch. I asked the class who brought a lunch, only 2 kids brought either a lunch box or money for lunch, and 6 kids eat free lunch. So that leaves 20 kids with nothing to eat. I had to race around town, buying food to make 28 fucking lunches, plus napkins, plates, juice, forks etc. I was fucking pissed!

Yeah yeah yeah, I know that working moms are sooooo busy, and have more important things to do than get shit for a stupid party that some bored SAHM is throwing. And yeah, I know you send your kid to school to learn and not have fun at a party. That's fine if you don't want to participate in a pot luck party. But if that's the case, don't expect your kid to to be fed from the potluck that you didn't want anything to do with. 

I spent waaaaaay too much money on this party. Never again. 

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Who doesn't have time to run to the grocery store?  I'd be mad too. Do you get reimbursed?

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM

No. Who is going to reimburse me? His teacher is awesome and spends a lot of her money on the kids already. I wouldn't ask her to reimburse me.

Quoting MooBaaLaLaLa80:

Who doesn't have time to run to the grocery store?  I'd be mad too. Do you get reimbursed?

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Sorry
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Wow. That sucks. That would never happen at my kids school. Sounds like piss poor parents and planning. I bet they aren't involved in their kids education at all.
NBean311
by Chivette on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I would be upset too! 

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Wow, that is ridiculous. I worked full time, but I always made sure to get something for DD to contribute to her school/daycare parties. Her school now doesn't do parties. No treats, no sweets. Only healthy snacks. The no sweets thing is fine with me, but the lack of parties makes me sad.

Given the experience you just had, I'm not entirely surprised that parties have stopped at this school. I'd be willing to bet that lazy, asshole parents are at least partly to blame.

Loves2read24
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

That was really nice of you to do, good job op. I would be upset too.

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM
That sucks. I've never heard of eating lunch at the party too, unless it was a reward like a pizza party.

I'm also a room mom and I hate the fact that most parents don't bother to donate. This year though the PTO has started reimbursing the class mom or whomever is doing the party up to $25. At least it's something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Djinn83
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Our parties are always done over lunch. The schedule is afternoon recess, lunch, Pe. We have a jahovas witness in the class, so instead of just making her sit out, she can go to recess, lunch and PE with the other class. Also, there is a rule that all class parties cannot take away more than 30 minutes from classroom instruction time. So doing the party during this time block gives us a loop hole, since recess and lunch doesnt count as instruction time. Also, we have a vegetarian kid, and a kid with peanut allergies. This way the kids can choose from the lunch we bring, or go to the cafeteria to get a lunch and come back. 

Quoting graciesnycmama:

That sucks. I've never heard of eating lunch at the party too, unless it was a reward like a pizza party.

I'm also a room mom and I hate the fact that most parents don't bother to donate. This year though the PTO has started reimbursing the class mom or whomever is doing the party up to $25. At least it's something.

justone_jen
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Assholes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)