Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Heres a table to check if your child is "gifted" for all those who want to know

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies
1 mom liked this

General Motor Examples

Ability Normal Age (months) Gifted Age (30% Advanced)
Sits up alone 7 months 4.9 months
stands alone well 11 7.7
Crawls upstairs 15 10.5
Walks upstairs 18 12.6
Turns pages of a book 18 21
Walks on tiptoes 30 33.6
Skips with one foot only 48 33.6
Throws ball 48 33.6
Skips with alternating feet 60 42

Fine Motor Examples

Plays with rattle 3 months 2.1 months
Pulls strings adaptively 7 4.9
Holds Object (Finger+Thumb) 9 6.3
Holds crayon adaptively 11 7.7
Scribbles Spontaneously 13 9.1
Folds paper 21 14.7
Draws a person with 2 parts 48 33.6
Copies a triangle 60 42
Draws a person with neck, hands and clothes 72 50.4

Cognitive-Language Examples

Social smile at people 1.5 months 1.05 months
Searches with eyes for sound 2.2 1.54
Vocalizes 2 different sounds 2.3 1.61
Says 'Dada' (or equivalent) 7.9 5.53
Responds to name and 'no' 9 6.3
Looks at pictures in a book 10 7
Has vocabulary of 4-6 words 15 10.5
Follows directions to put object on chair etc. 17.8 12.46
3-word sentences 24 16.8
Gives full name 30 21
Counts object to 3 36 25.2

Hope the above would help you gauge the developmental milestones of your child. Best of luck!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Gifted Children

Back to Ask an Expert - Gifted Children

ABCmouse
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Bump
The.Hug.Life
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM
8 moms liked this

Seriously, guys, there are issues with sticking a label on your child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Most son did most on the "advanced side" But theres a few he didnt as well. I guess hes normal lmao!

Evelynsmama2012
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:23 AM

My daughter's 8 months old,started saying dada,mama,and baba at 5 months,Now says ,Dada,mama,baba,Hi,bye bye,no,what's that,and doggie,and she smiled at me for the first time at 3 and 1/2 weeks old,and she loves looking at pictures in the books i read to her,been doing that since about 6 and 1/2 months,But i honestly never knew any of that was advanced,I thought it was normal,She's my first child

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM

my son was the same, I knew he was advanced but I dont think he suits "gifted". Hes just a out there child that shows his brains and isnt shy in my opinion other kids are just more quiet about it

Quoting Evelynsmama2012:

My daughter's 8 months old,started saying dada,mama,and baba at 5 months,Now says ,Dada,mama,baba,Hi,bye bye,no,what's that,and doggie,and she smiled at me for the first time at 3 and 1/2 weeks old,and she loves looking at pictures in the books i read to her,been doing that since about 6 and 1/2 months,But i honestly never knew any of that was advanced,I thought it was normal,She's my first child

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:29 AM

my kids all have a few from the average and a few from the gifted category. so my kids results: normal. :P

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM
5 moms liked this

The thing about "advanced" kids is that often they level-off with everyone else their age in about 2nd grade.  If after that, they are still ahead of everyone else, then they are "gifted"

Evelynsmama2012
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM

That's exactly what i say about her,she's very vocal,and has an attitude too,lol,when you make her mad,You know it! ,She also loves to point at things,So now when she points at something,I use it as a learning opportunity and tell  her what it is

Oh yea,and forgot to add,she's been sitting up on her own since she was 5 months old

Quoting Anonymous:

my son was the same, I knew he was advanced but I dont think he suits "gifted". Hes just a out there child that shows his brains and isnt shy in my opinion other kids are just more quiet about it

Quoting Evelynsmama2012:

CafeMom Tickers
CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM

So how many do they have to do to be gifted. My son fits the gifted in the entire last group, about fifty percent in the middle group and about 30% in the first group.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:35 AM

I agree!  Our DD was labelled gifted in Science and Math but delayed in reading and writing while in Elementary School.  After a year of remedial classes in conjunction with advanced classes, she was a wreck - huge anxiety issues.  We put her back into the "regular" classroom and just made sure she was encouraged and challenged but not stressed.  Currently she is in 10th gade and we just got her PSAT scores back.  Perfect scores on the reading and writing portions, 77th percentile on math.

Quoting The.Hug.Life:

Seriously, guys, there are issues with sticking a label on your child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)