Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why it doesn't impress me when you say you have a child in the "gifted" program.

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 53 Replies
4 moms liked this

I'm intelligent enough to realize that I can only speak for my area, so please realize that I am doing just that - if things are done differently in your area, don't get defensive, just fill me in.

Around here, entrance into the "gifted program" is based on one thing - standardized test scores from the year before. What's more, they have to have scored in a certain percentile (99th) ACROSS THE BOARD in language arts AND math. Also, again, this is based solely on how well your child does on a standardized test - there are no IQ test requirements, no interview process, just a standardized test that the teachers prep the students for many, many months in advance.

We even have an entire public school slated for "gifted and talented". Again, "gifted" is determined by the child's previous year's test scores, nothing else.

What is my problem with this method of determining "gifted"?

1) My sister struggled through school, by her own admittance. Yet she always maintained good grades and excellent test scores. Why? Because she struggled she learned excellent study skills. She would never describe herself as gifted, but would have probably made the cut for the gifted programs in the schools, as the standards are now.

2) These policies leave out a very important population - those students who are 2E (twice exceptional); learning disabled and highly gifted. Not uncommon AT ALL.

3) Most SINCERELY GIFTED people I know, are profoundly gifted in ONE area (math and science *or* language arts, or something along those lines), and either average or even below average in the other areas. Many are bored in class; as a result they act out, don't do their best, make silly mistakes, day dream, etc. Nothing is done to identify these children who need services most, because they may not score as high on the standardized tests.

My husband is a great example. Incredibly intelligent, he holds several degrees in science related fields and has a very high IQ; he also would have preferred to do calculus than read for a lit project any day of the week. He never would have tested above average in language arts (and, in fact, I believe he carried a "C" in language arts for many years, lol).

To summarize, I think children in gifted classes are bright children with a great work ethic and fantastic study skills; some may be gifted, but I do NOT believe they are all gifted (or even very many).

Also, for clarification, I have no horse in this race. We homeschool, so my children have never attempted entrance, or been denied entrance, to these programs (so nobody thinks I'm "bitter", lol).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM

bump

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Simple-Beauty
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I agree with everything you said.

livingforthem83
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My daughter had to be tested in order to get into the gifted program. She must maintain an 85 in all classes, she keeps atleast a 90 though. My son was tested when he was younger and didn't get in. His teacher this year and last said that they thought he should be retested but I said no because he is incredibly lazy.

ctfirsttimemom
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM

well, I think thats better than what it was based on when I was in elementary school.   One of my friends didn't get in, so her mom called and screamed at the school every day until they let her in.  I think most of those "gifted and talented" programs are ridiculous.  My kids are in preschool and a toddler so we don't have to deal with it yet.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I was called "the dumbest smart person" he ever met by my step dad because I sucked at those tests. I was the kid in your number 3 point. And because of that, every adult (parents included)in my life gave up on me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:37 AM

What kind of "test"?

Quoting livingforthem83:

My daughter had to be tested in order to get into the gifted program. She must maintain an 85 in all classes, she keeps atleast a 90 though. My son was tested when he was younger and didn't get in. His teacher this year and last said that they thought he should be retested but I said no because he is incredibly lazy.

jamianne
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree.  Scoring well on standardized tests or even doing well in school does not a gifted child make.  They may be hard working and bright.  But I feel truly gifted children are not as common as all the "my child is soooo gifted" parents would like to think.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter is a number 2 :)

She is dyslexic and is lucky to maintain an average grade in language arts, but she's advanced in maths and sciences.

I will NEVER give up on her. Never. I don't care if she fights me every day for it - I will push her and show her what she's worth (everything to me). I am so, so sorry that nobody fought for you.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I was called "the dumbest smart person" he ever met by my step dad because I sucked at those tests. I was the kid in your number 3 point. And because of that, every adult (parents included)in my life gave up on me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I agree. There really are not enough truly gifted students to have an entire dedicated school. Schools should stick with advanced placement classes.
kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM
If that was they way they did it here, I would be unimpressed too. I'm not a fan of standardized tests, and I don't believe they reflect a child's true intellectual ability.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)