Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What No One Is Telling You About Rape

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 464 Replies
25 moms liked this

We, as a society, hear the word rape and picture a woman being attacked in a dark alley by some drifter. We, as media-educated drones, envision a college co-ed going to a party and being assaulted by a gang of frat boys. We, as women, imagine some sicko holding a knife to our throats to get what he wants. Is that rape? Yup!  But, all those scenarios account for only about 28% of rapes in America.

That leaves 72% of rapes that don’t fit the stereotype. Huh? How can we not know what most rapes are like? That doesn’t make any sense. What we know as rape isn’t the majority. Why? How can it be that so many rapes committed aren’t what we know rape to be? No one wants to talk about real rape. No one wants to put it out there for discussion. No one wants to admit that our society has a large majority of rapes that are unspeakable, let alone unthinkable. Or even worse, society just doesn’t think the majority is as bad as the stereotype. If that’s the case, we’re dead wrong-every last one of us.

Real rape doesn’t have to be physically violent. Only 5% of completed rapes result in serious physical injury. So if the rapist didn’t hurt them, how’d they get raped? Most rapes involve much more deceptive tactics to achieve the ‘final goal.’ The victim is pressured, coerced, manipulated and even tricked (lied to) into doing the will of the predator, even when they don’t want to and say no. The tactics can vary, but we’ve all heard them voiced in society, “I talked her into it”; “I wore her down”; and the infamous “No means Yes.” There is no such thing as ‘convincing’ someone to have sex. While I hate to use the cliché, it’s puts it bluntly-No means No.

Real rape doesn’t have to be committed by a stranger. A staggering 80% of rapes are carried out by someone you know. That means that your assailant is your husband, boyfriend, friend, relative or co-worker. The authorities call it acquaintance rape, but its real rape, plain and simple. Your attacker will know you and everything about you. They’ll know what to say and do to get what they want. Some might say this kind of rape isn’t as bad, since you know your rapist, but that’s a load of you-know-what. Studies show that rape by an acquaintance has more far-reaching psychological effects and symptoms than stranger rape. I mean, just imagine it. Someone you love or care about, committing such a heinous act upon you against your will. How can that not mess you up?

Approximately 73% of rape victims don’t identify their rapes until much later. 

Have you been sexually assualted? Been in a controlling relationship? Have you ever felt no one knows how you feel?  Well i do. Click on my siggy and join my support group! Hope to see you there!

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
4 moms liked this

but how many of these women whoe were "raped", put themselves in a risky situation to begin with?

LoveyCakes
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

BUMP!

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
6 moms liked this

and what is a risy situation to you?

Seriously!

Quoting Anonymous:

but how many of these women whoe were "raped", put themselves in a risky situation to begin with?

Have you been sexually assualted? Been in a controlling relationship? Have you ever felt no one knows how you feel?  Well i do. Click on my siggy and join my support group! Hope to see you there!

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
9 moms liked this
Between 84% and 92% of rapes are acquaintance rapes. The person is raped by someone they know. There is no way to protect against that unless you never go out with anyone ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

as far as stranger rape goes.....if you go out, alone, get drunk or high or whatever...meet some strange person at the bar, start kissing them, rubbing their crotch, whatever, and then you go get in their car with them, willingly go with them.....THAT is a risky situation...imo

Quoting mommysangelface:

and what is a risy situation to you?

Seriously!

Quoting Anonymous:

MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for sharing this information. I wholeheartedly agree.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I was raped by a "friend", and I didn't identify it as rape, mostly because I didn't want to accept that it was a rape, until I was in my teens.

An older boy in my neighborhood used to come over and play with my brother and I...little did I know, that playing house meant much more than just pretending...I didn't scream, I did not say no...I was 6...he was 11. I did not accept it as rape, because I didn't say no. It hurt, I cried, but I didn't know it was wrong. I kept that in till I was 17 when one day I just broke down in the middle of class, because I realized that it was what it was.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I was talking about stranger rape

Quoting purpleducky:

Between 84% and 92% of rapes are acquaintance rapes. The person is raped by someone they know. There is no way to protect against that unless you never go out with anyone ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
24 moms liked this
Can we stop pointing fingers? Rape is wrong, regardless of the situation!
Whether some one is randomly attacked or dress scantily and very flirtations and drunk.
No means no. We need to stop making excuses for the attackers behavior and call it what it is.
Rape

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)