Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in laws want us to pay for the medical expenses FIL incurred because our dog bit him and I am refusing EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is Gretta, she is part lab, pit and Austrailian Shepard

Why, because I TOLD FIL not to pick up the baby. The dog, Gretta, who is very well trained has taken it upon herself to be my 2 month olds personal bodyguard. She is fine with me, DH and anyone she knows picking up the baby but if it's someone she doesn't know, she doesn't  like it, she thinks they are trying to hurt the baby.

If I put the baby in his seat, she goes and sits right next to him, if he takes a nap, she goes and lays next to his bassinet. She has NEVER been aggressive with the baby or anyone, she is sweet as she can be and very well trained. She is 5 years old and I have had her since she was 8 weeks old.

Now Gretta doesn't know FIL because MIL is allergic to dogs so anytime they come over, we put her in our bedroom (Gretta, not MIL). Yesterday, FIL came over without MIL (MIL was at work) to see the baby. I offered FIL a drink, he asked for a tea and I went to get it. Before I left the room, the baby was sleeping in his seat, I told FIL just go ahead and sit down, I'll get the baby for you in a second, Gretta doesn't like it when people she doesn't know go for the baby. Gretta growled, I heard her from the kitchen so I ran out and said "no, don't do it she will bite" He said, "I'll be fine" and he wasn't, he got too close, didn't heed the growling and she bit him. He needed 4 stitches on his hand. The only reason it wasn't worse was because I yelled "heel" to Gretta and she stopped right away.

DH was home during the whole thing, in our room taking a nap, he heard Gretta growl and came running, knowing something was wrong.

At first FIL said he was calling animal control and going to have her put down. Animal control contacted us and said that because she did growl first and he was warned about he trigger behavior (going for the baby) they aren't going to do anything to the dog. Nor can he sue us as he also threatened.

FIL's medical insurance has a $500 co pay for an ER visit and he wants us to pay for it. HELL NO, he was told not to and he did it anyway, he can pay for it himself.

For those saying he could sue because it's my dog, in my state at least, you are wrong. The person from animal control told me, and I confirmed it with an attorney, that because I warned FIL not to go near the baby with the dog there, him doing so was at his own risk. He can't turn around and sue over it (and what kind of person threatens to sue their son and DDIL anyway? but he did)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
le.sigh.333
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM

he wouldn't in new york. he was warned. it still happened. it's like touching a stove when the sign says "caution, hot"

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Because he was warned not to, and he even admits that, he can't do anything. It's like a person breaking into your backyard if you have a beware of dog sign and then suing you for any damages the dog it. Once you warn someone, they are on their own, at least in my state.

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're liable legally.  It was your dog in your home.  Hope he doesn't sue you.

LOL!  Yeah....hope he doesn't sue you.   You'd lose.

tsbarnes
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM

And if they sue... fuck them. Yea you probably will lose but damn they aren't the greatest it seems! The fact they would do that in the first place.

just_hc
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You are legally liable.   Sorry, he will win if he sues you.    You can simply turn this in as a homeowners claim and they will pay his expenses.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

you and the dog each warned him multiple times... his own dumb mistake for not listening to you. glad animal control agreed with you, that's a scary situation to think your pet might be taken due to someone else's stupidity

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I agree with you. You warned him and the dog warned him. Dogs are extremely protective animals and can be especially towards new baby's and small children bc they see them as their own. Your FIL should have listened and no I don't think you should have to pay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Doesn't sound like Greta is that well trained.  

If she IS trained enough to stop mid-attack on FIL, why wouldn't you have told her to heel before she bit him?

Aren't you supposed to be able to give well trained dogs instructions? 

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right to me.  What if it had been a young person (maybe 7-8) who was trying to pick up the baby?  What if you hadn't been right there?   

momof2891
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I agree with you. He was told by you AND the dog NOT to get near the baby and that YOU would get the baby but HE didn't listen. That is all on him. I wouldn't pay it either. My dog was like that with dd. good luck!!
Jlpmmom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Our dog, Sam, was the same way with our son, but he was so old that he has lost a lot of his teeth so he didn't hurt if he would bite. He was almost 16 when oldest was born. We had to put him in a separate room with people he didn't know.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I must say that every time I see your siggy I have to do a double take because that looks just like my son when he was an infant. LOL 

Quoting Bird16_J:

what a fucking moron! When a dog growls at you that means STOP what you're doing!!! What a fucking dumbass!!! I'd tell him to fuck off and not come over ever again if he can't listen!!! What kind of dog is she? Sounds like you guys trained her really well! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

She hasn't, ever. In fact, before the baby I had only even heard her growl a handful of times. FIL was the only one stupid enough not to listen to me when I said she is very protective of the baby, let me get the baby for you.

Quoting Kokoscold:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN