Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I call bullsh**.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I not going to say which post, if you know, you know.

Buuut.

In Canada, a citizen doesn't "press charges".  If police are called THEY decide, and the CROWN (or DA in the states) decide whether or not to proceed.  Citizens don't get a say in this lol

RCMP are police officers.  THEY don't get to cut deals or make diverted sentances like asking someone to take anger management, the crown again does that.

Finger printing and pictures are done at time of arrest, or can even be done months later after conviction.Some things are just not adding up and sound suspiciously like something seen on tv, which features American prosecutorial procedures.  And probably not even that accurately.

So I call bullshit.

And yes, I do know, because Ive been arrested several times and I studied basic law procedures to become a paralegal.

**yes I was arrested, no Im not proud of it, I was an idiot teen who used to spray paint stuff.  I regret it but i happens and because of it I know how things work a bit better than some.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Replies (111-120):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Nothing new, that person spews bullshit as easily as she breaths.

Bitchess
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Did I miss another memo? Someone want to PM me the details?

boo   Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

yikes! 1. is your son ok? Did it all work out?

2.  Im not going to argue semantics, you reported a crime, you didnt press charges.  You asked something be done (rightly so!)

Say it was a different scenario, say a passerby heard the threat and called the police.  And they came and spoke to everyone.  The police wouldnt ask you "do you want to press charges."  If the police saw fit the person (omg cant get over what a dick) would be taken in.  There would be no situation where the police came, everything calmed down, and then later on you decided, no I do want him charged afterall! And you take him in and BAM! you press charges.  kwim?

Quoting bowribbonmama:

When my son was younger one of his fathers "friends" threatened to kill DS. I printed off the conversations, went to the police station and told them I wanted charges pressed and a RO.
He was charged later that night.
I am in Ontario.

Quoting Anonymous:

explain?  What province and in what circumstance, what are the procedures required?

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Actually, a citizen CAN press charges.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

conviction on the same day as the date of arrest?  where on earth is that?

Quoting dbush0584:

I have seen same day convictions several times.......

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's about the same, the crown prosecutes on behalf of the queen's law.  They do the same job, prosecute the charged.  You don't go before a judge right away for conviction though, it can take a while.  

Quoting dbush0584:

That should have been convicted...not charged.  The DA is an attorney too...represents the "court".....so the crown there is like the court here?  I think I may be understanding.  If thats not right then DAMN!

Quoting Anonymous:

the DA and the Crown are basically the same thing.  The Crown Attorney represents the Crown, the DA represents um...idk Im not american lol

Quoting dbush0584:

IDK about Canada but in Texas I have seen someone get arrested for fighting.  Get booked in (fingerprinted and such), go to a cell, a few hours later go in front a judge and be charged, then released.  Now as far a making a court date...I doubt that.  IDK know...I wonder about judicial systems all the time.  they never make sense.  That whole "crown" thing is confusing for me anyways.

Quoting Anonymous:

you're right, Ive seen it and when they get to court if the crown isnt happy they will drop charges or add them.   She claims there is already a court date and the sister pressed charges.  That I have a hard time believing.

Quoting dbush0584:

It is  possible to be arrested and charged the same day...depending on what the charges are for, where the arrest was at, etc.  I've seen it MANY times.  You are right about cops not cutting deals though.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Cops in america do not cut deals either, nor do they deal with sentencing. DAs do that, and they definitely dont do it the night charges are pressed.

I called bull shit the moment she said they made a report and he was sentenced that same night to anger managment but they will wipe it off his record if he completes the classes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

the police didnt need you permission to press charges, they needed your permission to question a minor.   They have certain things they need to investigate at that stage before proceeding with charges.  Again, they dont need your permission to charge.  They need certain information and could not get that info from a minor without parental permission.

BTW. that sucks, and I hope your son is ok

Quoting Anonymous:

Not always true. in our case. My boyfriend  was inappropriate with my then 7 yrs old son. Showered with him  got an erection and asked him if he wanted to touch it.  When police and CAS got involved, they told us we had to press the charges. My son being a minor. The police wanted us to proceed, but could do nothing until we said go ahead. Because it all hinged on my sons testimony  and no physical evidence.  So not always is it up to the police to  pres charges. My son can walk into the police station as an adult and press charges.  His case is open and active still to this day. I think its  different for different situations.

dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
maybe not in Canada......but I've seen it happen in Texas.

Quoting Anonymous:

She didn't say he was arrested and charged.  She said he was arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced all in one day.  That can't happen.  

Quoting dbush0584:

It is  possible to be arrested and charged the same day...depending on what the charges are for, where the arrest was at, etc.  I've seen it MANY times.  You are right about cops not cutting deals though.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Cops in america do not cut deals either, nor do they deal with sentencing. DAs do that, and they definitely dont do it the night charges are pressed.

I called bull shit the moment she said they made a report and he was sentenced that same night to anger managment but they will wipe it off his record if he completes the classes

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
ok....I have a friend that got arrested for disorderly conduct: fighting. got arrested, went to jail, 2 hours later went in front of the judge, got convicted then released. I was there when she got arrested AND when she got released so I know it's accurate.

Quoting ff-princess:

conviction on the same day as the date of arrest?  where on earth is that?

Quoting dbush0584:

I have seen same day convictions several times.......

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's about the same, the crown prosecutes on behalf of the queen's law.  They do the same job, prosecute the charged.  You don't go before a judge right away for conviction though, it can take a while.  

Quoting dbush0584:

That should have been convicted...not charged.  The DA is an attorney too...represents the "court".....so the crown there is like the court here?  I think I may be understanding.  If thats not right then DAMN!

Quoting Anonymous:

the DA and the Crown are basically the same thing.  The Crown Attorney represents the Crown, the DA represents um...idk Im not american lol

Quoting dbush0584:

IDK about Canada but in Texas I have seen someone get arrested for fighting.  Get booked in (fingerprinted and such), go to a cell, a few hours later go in front a judge and be charged, then released.  Now as far a making a court date...I doubt that.  IDK know...I wonder about judicial systems all the time.  they never make sense.  That whole "crown" thing is confusing for me anyways.

Quoting Anonymous:

you're right, Ive seen it and when they get to court if the crown isnt happy they will drop charges or add them.   She claims there is already a court date and the sister pressed charges.  That I have a hard time believing.

Quoting dbush0584:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Texas isn't considered a modern state when it comes to law.

In Texas they say they use the death penalty so much and allow more lenient carry laws because it reduces the crime rate - yet the have one of the highest crime rates per capita in the entire country.  Texas also had 1,246 murders in 2010.  They also have the most people on death row that were then proven innocent (even after the state tried to prevent evidence from being investigated - such as DNA tests).

Most of the rest of the country doesn't really "count" Texas because of their archaic laws.

Quoting dbush0584:

Quoting Anonymous:

She didn't say he was arrested and charged.  She said he was arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced all in one day.  That can't happen.  

Quoting dbush0584:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Please tell me that guy is now your EX. And please tell me you did go forward with the charges!

Quoting Anonymous:

Not always true. in our case. My boyfriend  was inappropriate with my then 7 yrs old son. Showered with him  got an erection and asked him if he wanted to touch it.  When police and CAS got involved, they told us we had to press the charges. My son being a minor. The police wanted us to proceed, but could do nothing until we said go ahead. Because it all hinged on my sons testimony  and no physical evidence.  So not always is it up to the police to  pres charges. My son can walk into the police station as an adult and press charges.  His case is open and active still to this day. I think its  different for different situations.

dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I'm not sure what crime has to do with being convicted same day as arrest but thanks for being shitty about my home state I guess.

Quoting Anonymous:

Texas isn't considered a modern state when it comes to law.

In Texas they say they use the death penalty so much and allow more lenient carry laws because it reduces the crime rate - yet the have one of the highest crime rates per capita in the entire country.  Texas also had 1,246 murders in 2010.  They also have the most people on death row that were then proven innocent (even after the state tried to prevent evidence from being investigated - such as DNA tests).

Most of the rest of the country doesn't really "count" Texas because of their archaic laws.

Quoting dbush0584:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting dbush0584:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)