Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What should I do? Puppy problem

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

I have a puppy, I've had her about 3 months. I found her, wasn't going to keep her, but the kids really wanted to, so we decided we would keep her.  She was dirty and hungry. So I cleaned her up and fed her. I've been taking her to the vet every time shes due for shots. She also had worms, took care of that too.

The problem is, I have a cat. Had her about 7 months. She hates the dog. The dog is constantly chasing her and jumping on her and she stays hidden all the time now. Anytime she does come out the dog is chasing and jumping on her. She is miserable. 

When I crate the dog to give the cat some time with out her, the dog cries and barks the entire time. I've tried correcting her to get her to leave the cat alone, but she won't leave her alone.

I have been considering rehoming the dog. She may be happier somewhere else anyways. I live in an apartment and I have no yard for her to run around in. But I feel horrible. But I also feel horrible for my cat. But I will not get rid of my cat. She was here first, and she is like my child. I don't know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Did you even post for a found dog? People lose dogs.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I raised TWO siberian huskies (they kill cats) with four cats. They never once killed any of my cats. Its called (Dog Training)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Yes, no one claimed her

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Get a dog trainer and do a google search. It's easy to train a dog, you just don't have the knowledge yet
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I have in in training once a week, as well as work with her here. The trainer said she will learn. But I don't know how long it takes. And my cat is miserable

Quoting thetrollcat:

I raised TWO siberian huskies (they kill cats) with four cats. They never once killed any of my cats. Its called (Dog Training)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM
The dog needs better training. If it's not working, re-home it, give the new owners the papers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, no one claimed her

Quoting Anonymous:

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The only thing I can think to suggest is baby gate in the hall way that way the dog can have one area of the house while the cat has the other. We had to do this with our dogs and cats when I was growing up. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Once in awhiel I would catch the dogs targeting (eye lock) the cats. I put a stop that shit right away by grabbing them by the nap of the neck wrestle them to the floor, pin them down, then bite their ear then I walk them to the cat and i yell at the cat (well direction of the cat) and they will try to look away all guilty and shit.... ya. Any time the dog does something bad dont yell at the dog, yell at what they are targeting that is bad (the cat). Trust me on that. Then lock the dog in head lock until the dog stops or bite the ear.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have in in training once a week, as well as work with her here. The trainer said she will learn. But I don't know how long it takes. And my cat is miserable

Quoting thetrollcat:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I take her to training once a week and work with her here. I figured if I was going to keep her, I'd need help. Trainer said she would learn with the cat swatting her and hurting her. But the dog is getting bigger and is now bigger then the cat, so its not as useful as before.

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a dog trainer and do a google search. It's easy to train a dog, you just don't have the knowledge yet

Hazel2013
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I let my dog and cat free once i got my cat. They eventually got along and all they do now is chase each other around and play. Give it time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)