Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do? Puppy problem

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a puppy, I've had her about 3 months. I found her, wasn't going to keep her, but the kids really wanted to, so we decided we would keep her.  She was dirty and hungry. So I cleaned her up and fed her. I've been taking her to the vet every time shes due for shots. She also had worms, took care of that too.

The problem is, I have a cat. Had her about 7 months. She hates the dog. The dog is constantly chasing her and jumping on her and she stays hidden all the time now. Anytime she does come out the dog is chasing and jumping on her. She is miserable. 

When I crate the dog to give the cat some time with out her, the dog cries and barks the entire time. I've tried correcting her to get her to leave the cat alone, but she won't leave her alone.

I have been considering rehoming the dog. She may be happier somewhere else anyways. I live in an apartment and I have no yard for her to run around in. But I feel horrible. But I also feel horrible for my cat. But I will not get rid of my cat. She was here first, and she is like my child. I don't know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (31-32):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not completely sure. I believe some sort of terrier. Vet also thinks she made be mixed with chow because she has black spots on her tongue.

Quoting Hartbrayka:

what kind of dog?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Squirt bottle set for a long stream. Squirt the dog and say "no" loudly. If the water doesn't deter her add a bit of vinegar too. After time the "no" should work without the water.

Another option, take an empty Coke can and fill half way with pebbles, duct tape the top. When the dog exhibits the behavior shake the can. The sound startles and should stop the behavior. Only use the can method to correct one behavior. 

And, remember it takes time. One of my cats hides or avoids for up to six months while getting used to a new dog. Good luck, OP. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured