Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The New Healthcare Law

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Dh and I went and filed our taxes today at H&R Block. The lady told us that with the new healthcare law and us being low income ($21,000 in 2012) that we (the whole family) will qualify for Medicaid this coming Fall when everything goes into affect. I was seriously shocked!! The paper that she printed out tells us that if we don't apply for Medicaid or get some form of health insurance before 2014, we will be fined like $200 and something dollars and that if we don't apply for Medicaid or get health insurance before 2015, it jumps to almost a thousand. Has anyone else heard about this yet? She said they (whoever "they" are) will be making a big announcement on it sometime in September. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Bump 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn't believe them.  They told us the same thing so we went and applied.  They wouldn't even put our information into the computer.  They looked at our paystubs and said you make too much money to qualify.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Well, she said not to even bother applying until after they make the announcement. She said the laws or whatever they are will change then. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't believe them.  They told us the same thing so we went and applied.  They wouldn't even put our information into the computer.  They looked at our paystubs and said you make too much money to qualify.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Anyone? No one? Hellooooo *echos* 

Sassy01
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:32 AM
yeah we were told the same thing except our person also told us that we have to take whatever insurance our employer offers and if its to expensive we still have to take it and would not be able to switch to anything cheaper which I think is wrong, but we will see when the time comes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM

It was common knowledge when the Healthcare Act passed that everyone would be required to carry health insurance or would have to pay a fine, tax, or penalty - depending on how you look at it.  I don't know about the medicaid qualifiers, but it seems to me if the government can't pay for health care for our seniors, then it can't realistically enroll a huge portion of younger people in medicaid at the taxpayers expense. 

This is why I was not a proponent of the Health Care Act since the beginning.  It says everyone has to have health insurance, but it doesn't address the cost of health insurance, which goes up exponentially almost every year - at a far higher rate than the CPI.  Some years our health insurance has gone up more than 20%.  And we have no choice.  We are currently paying over $800 a month for our portion of our health care premiums through my dh's company.  That is for 3 of us.  And since I'm middle class, I can pay the full $27K college tuition for my dd at a state school, and the full $10k of insurance premium's, deductibles, and copays, and 40%+ of my income in taxes until pretty soon all we have left of our income is $21K and we'll all be equal so everything will be fair.

tossed
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:56 AM

They means the federal government. There will be subsidies for low income individuals to help with insurance. I don't 'think she is right about it being medicaid...some states did not take the extra money for expansion of medicaid. There were insurance exchanges to give people freedom in selection of their insurance provider. Yes, the Supreme Court upheld the mandate and fine if people do not obtain health insurance. 

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Yes, this has been common knowledge for quite some time now.

However, not everybody will be penalized for not having insurance. You have to have a pretty high income to be penalized.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN