Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

restore my faith in humanity

6÷2(1+2)=
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (181-188):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
6/(2+4)
6/6
Or
6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
6/6
Nunyabusiness
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

makes no sense unless you put some kind of sign after the first 2 and before the first parenthesis...I think. LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Amen!!! In 9th grade I remember dreading pre-algebra. So much so that I begged my counselor to let me take other classes for math/science credits.

She let me take marine biology instead. Worst disservice in the world. Later in life I had to go back, because you certainly can't handle college level algebra if you never got through high school algebra.

I still get frustrated with algebra. I don't know what I'm going to do when my LO gets in school!? And now my hubby is talking about teaching her Singapore math. Good grief! My 40 year old brain isn't smart enough for that. Besides, I feel like I pushed out all of my rain cells along with the baby during delivery!!

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not that, I feel that the use of PEMDAS as really screwed over a number of people. It's confusing when you teach "paranthesis, exponants, multiplication, division, addition and then subtraction" in this cute "Please excuse my dear aunt sally" but then not really go into the whole "but you can do m/d and a/s in the order it appears.

I get a lot of frustrated and angry students.

Quoting ATL958:

I guess I got an F then!

Quoting Anonymous:

you can do multiplication/division and addition/subtraction as you see it from left to right.

You would do 5-2+5 as it appears from left to right. You wouldn't do 2+5 and then subtract 5. You would do 5-2 and then add 5.

Quoting ATL958:

Sorry, but the order of operations are P.E.R.A.M.D.A.S.

Parenthesis

Exponents

Radicals

Absolutes

Multiplication

Division

Addition

Subtraction

You must do them in this order.

Therefore, the answer is 1

Quoting HistoryNutty:

Once you do what's in the parenthesis, you go from left to right with exponents, multiplication/division (which ever comes first) and then addition/subtraction (again, which ever comes first). I may suck at math, but I remember this crap.

Quoting NewInChrist:

1+2 is in () so that's first, making it 6/2(3). Distribute the 2(3)=6
6/6=1

Quoting HistoryNutty:

PEMDAS

LoveyCakes
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM
KlingyMomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)