Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Special Needs kids in sports/activities

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

My ds7 has asked to take kung fu lessons.  Im a bit nervous, he has some special needs and can be distracting to others.  He can have a hard time focusing at times and developmentally is about 5 but physically is the size of a 10 yr old. 

Any thoughts/advice from moms with special needs kids? (or not special needs kids)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I have friends who run a martial arts studio & they do classes for special needs kids. It's one of their passions. Are you in Houston?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Some places focus on kids w/needs, call around.

I typically would say I wouldn't have an issue but I had to switch my son's martial arts lessons bc a child in there disrupted the class almost the entire time.  I'm sorry but not fair to the other students & I don't pay that kind of money for my son to not be taught properly.

We switched & now he is proudly a 2nd degree black belt:)

JayeC2
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

This.  Unless you are in a small town where there is only one place to go, look for a place that has either special classes, or has worked with special needs kids before.  They will work it out for him.

Quoting momma-flynn:

I have friends who run a martial arts studio & they do classes for special needs kids. It's one of their passions. Are you in Houston?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

toronto, they dont have a special needs class, but the owner said it should be fine.  He offered me to come in for a one on one to see how it goes.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM

congrats! I understand, I was worried about that.  It's 200$ for 3 month session and 75$ for the uniform.  I would feel the same way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some places focus on kids w/needs, call around.

I typically would say I wouldn't have an issue but I had to switch my son's martial arts lessons bc a child in there disrupted the class almost the entire time.  I'm sorry but not fair to the other students & I don't pay that kind of money for my son to not be taught properly.

We switched & now he is proudly a 2nd degree black belt:)

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I know a few mom's of kids with mild autism who have their kids in karate. They say it has really helped in areas such as focus, strengthening areas of low tone, and improving self esteem. I think it would probably be a very positive experience. :-)

LiliM
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I have a kid with Aspergers and tae kwon do is amazing for him.  He's half way to his black belt at this point.  It just takes him a bit longer.

Go in and talk to the dojang master.  Talk with any support groups of your kid's challenges and see if they have any martial arts studios or schools they like.  My dojang was and is very understanding.  They work with him and encourage the hell out of him.

His last test, it took him 14 tries to break his board, which is part of the testing process.  Normally, they would not allow so many tries.  But he was trying so hard, that our master let him.  

He is not excused from the same standards and expectations of other students, and he tests with all his fellow classmates.  Chat with a couple of schools.

It's great for self control, spatial awareness, confidence - it's been a great decision for my kiddo.  Good luck.

momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM
That's nice of them to let you try it first. Hopefully it will work out.

Quoting Anonymous:

toronto, they dont have a special needs class, but the owner said it should be fine.  He offered me to come in for a one on one to see how it goes.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM
We have a boy on my sons bball team. It's a little challenging but the coaches have been really good with him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I would ask of they offer a special needs program, a few places should.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)