Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

New moms who think they know it all. EDIT!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 103 Replies
4 moms liked this

Do you know anyone like this?

I have a lot of friends on fb (that I know in real life I don't add people I don't know) but anyhow besides the point, They just became moms a few months ago some have under a year under their belt yet they have ALL the answers. It Bothers me sometimes It see it like this....I would never tell a mother of triplets or a mother who has a child older than mine anything. I mean how the hell would I know lol. I haven't reached those years and don't have the same number of kids so how or why would their opinion or advice help me....I obviously know I do not have to take it but when I new mom tries to talk about stuff they have no clue about I find it a little annoying....am I alone?

I wanted to add that I never said new moms were clueless obviously though as a new parent we do not know everything but we are knowledgeable enough to figure things out. Like myself I figured things out as I went because yes every child and family is different I guess it is the new moms that think a cookie will kill a kid or juice will immediately rot their teeth out lol. Moms who act snobby are the ones that bother me!

Also another thing is adivce is great when asked for it I hate being TOLD something without asking for it though. That is all I was really meaning. I know good advice can come from anywhere but the point is I am more for letting parents parent no one else.

To the mom who was a teacher with a psychology degree that is usually how I respond to people asking for advice from me with a "well they probably act that way because....." I am always being asked from family and friends for advice on kids, life and relationships I guess I possess that quality but I hate to say anything because I am no expert and no matter how much I have done or been through it does not mean I have all the answers!

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlbelknap35
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Actually I find it pretty comical cause in the back of my mind i have this little voice laughing knowing she will understand later that her opinion is probably wrong.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember once I was with a group of ladies two of which had teens, I had an 8 & 9 year old, and the other lady had a 3 year old.  She was letting the child run all over her and the little girl was fast becoming a brat.  One of the other ladies tried to gently offer some parenting advice.  But the other lady answered that she, "had a PhD in parenting now," so she didn't need any advice.  To our credit, none of us burst out laughing.  But I always thought that was pretty clueless and disrespectful of her to try and act like others who had almost a decade or more experience than her couldn't know more than she did in the parenting department.  I know they want to think and feel like they know it all, but when they voice it like that, those that truly do have more experience are not going to take them seriously.

jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Oh I for sure laugh to myself when I think "she will see in time"! I have baby sat since I was 12 so I have experience with kids but even still that is not the same as having your own either!

Quoting jlbelknap35:

Actually I find it pretty comical cause in the back of my mind i have this little voice laughing knowing she will understand later that her opinion is probably wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I think first-time moms are so cute. I love the pregnant moms that seem to know it all even better.

jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! Iwas just saying how even though I babysat since I was 12 for many different families and number of kids it is still not the same as HAVING your OWN children! For me I can't take advice from someone with one child because having twins is far different and only something mothers of other twins understand lol or if it is a mother with a child that is a girl (I have boys) it is just different.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

I remember once I was with a group of ladies two of which had teens, I had an 8 & 9 year old, and the other lady had a 3 year old.  She was letting the child run all over her and the little girl was fast becoming a brat.  One of the other ladies tried to gently offer some parenting advice.  But the other lady answered that she, "had a PhD in parenting now," so she didn't need any advice.  To our credit, none of us burst out laughing.  But I always thought that was pretty clueless and disrespectful of her to try and act like others who had almost a decade or more experience than her couldn't know more than she did in the parenting department.  I know they want to think and feel like they know it all, but when they voice it like that, those that truly do have more experience are not going to take them seriously.

TugBoatMama
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
This post makes me think of another one I saw here about a year ago. The "Tiger Mom Snob" is what she called herself. She was trying to make herself look oh so smart and she had one friggin kid- and it was a newborn.But she was trying to teach mothers of 3 and 4 all about how we are lazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM
My coworker was 21 and a new mom she knew it all I am 33 with a 17 (adopted) and a 10 ye old...took that girl three weeks to figure out her kid was sick..several things she did made me giggle
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Lol yeah I am like "you haven't even been through it yet"! Lol I guess we all learn as we go and I am not trying to sound mean or stuck up because I am not but I just think they feel like they can but later when their kids get older I bet they think about it and say "man back then I thought I had ALL the answers" and realize that just was not the case lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think first-time moms are so cute. I love the pregnant moms that seem to know it all even better.

Emmakins84
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I hate it when people that don't have kids tell you what to do or when you're "doing something wrong." My son is almost 2. I don't give advice unless someone asks, and even then its just only from MY experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM
It's just like teenagers know everything. I just smile, nod, let them learn just like I did. It's just the natural process of things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)