Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms in or with a s/o in the medical field

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

did they take risperedone (sp) off the market? I know they've linked it to brain tumors developing later in life.

I'm just wondering. I'm going up to my therapist in april to talk about changing all my depression meds around again, and they had me on that once before (then took me off it, i think because of these new findings) but it was the only thing that really worked.

My thoughts are everyone's going to die, and if I die because of a brain tumor when i'm 60+, my life is pretty much been done and over, and I'll die with a better life than without the med. I really hate anti-depressants, but I've got to get my head out of my ass.

So, is it gone for good, or if I request it, can I get it? Even if I have to sign a waiver stating I won't sue.. blah blah blah.

Thanks for the help.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

THIS is a GOOD question. I don't know if they took it off the market. My dad had paranoid schizophrenia and was on many drugs. He died of a brain tumor.

Mommy980106
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM
No, I had a Dr prescribe it for my daughter 2 days ago.
If you want to get real picky, you can link any ingested chemical to a horrible side effect. It is up to you as the patient to do your own research and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks for you.
I hope you feel better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jodi136525
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Ois on the market and widely prescribed. For many people it is the only need that effectively controls psychosis.
nverheyn2011
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Thanks for the info. This makes me feel a bit better. I am going to tell my new doc that I want it. I'm currently on 3 differnent "mood enhancing" meds and none of them work as perscribed.

Quoting Mommy980106:

If you want to get real picky, you can link any ingested chemical to a horrible side effect. It is up to you as the patient to do your own research and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks for you.

CafeMom Tickers
Mommy980106
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Same with my daughter, we've done Abilify and Depakote with no results - plus Prozac and adderall. None helped her, and now she is hospitalized for a psychotic break that led to a suicide attempt. I'm praying the risperdal works - it's old school and my only concern at this time with it is the increased appetite. But I'll take it if it means my daughter is alive and happy.

Quoting nverheyn2011:

Thanks for the info. This makes me feel a bit better. I am going to tell my new doc that I want it. I'm currently on 3 differnent "mood enhancing" meds and none of them work as perscribed.

Quoting Mommy980106:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nverheyn2011
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

when i was taking it for anxiety, depression, AND ptsd, it worked in under 10 minutes, and it took only a week for my body to adjust to it. it was so wonderful, even at the lowest dosage possible. (it gave me migraines, the only downside i ever had with it). Old school or not, side effects or not, it made me the old me. dh was mad they took me off it.

Good luck you you and dd. 

Quoting Mommy980106:

Same with my daughter, we've done Abilify and Depakote with no results - plus Prozac and adderall. None helped her, and now she is hospitalized for a psychotic break that led to a suicide attempt. I'm praying the risperdal works - it's old school and my only concern at this time with it is the increased appetite. But I'll take it if it means my daughter is alive and happy.

Quoting nverheyn2011:

Quoting Mommy980106:

CafeMom Tickers
sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
We have several residents on it where I work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy980106
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for the info.
Good luck on getting back to your old self

Quoting nverheyn2011:

when i was taking it for anxiety, depression, AND ptsd, it worked in under 10 minutes, and it took only a week for my body to adjust to it. it was so wonderful, even at the lowest dosage possible. (it gave me migraines, the only downside i ever had with it). Old school or not, side effects or not, it made me the old me. dh was mad they took me off it.

Good luck you you and dd. 

Quoting Mommy980106:

Quoting nverheyn2011:

Quoting Mommy980106:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Master_Debater
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Still there, my son's on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)