Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think of this??? dd going to school in another district>

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you dont want to read it all just go to the bold part, to answer my 'question'.

My dd is 3 years old. She will be going to school in September. Still a little bit away. The thing is i do not want dd going to a city school. We live in the city, since DH works in the city. We were going to put her into a city school (actually there is one right in front of our house), but i started looking around... I noticed the schools are overpopulated... the teacher to kid ratio is just BAD. A lot of bullying - even just talking to the principle in the office i could hear fights in the hallway and teachers screaming... i don't know if i caught them on a bad day or if this is regular...

I noticed the school in front of our house only has max 2 teachers outside. We have lived here for a year and everyday i am outside and its the same. The younger kids are watched but at least twice a week i see the bigger kids in the field fighting each other, swearing and kicking each other or 5 on one... Just sad. I have actually had to phone to the school twice because this group of boys started kicking another boy. Where were the teachers? Oh with their back turned of course...

So of course i tell dh that i do not want her to go to a city school, nor do i want to homeschool her as i want her to have the perks of feild trips, meeting kids and making friends. Dh was fussy though. Asking me what we should do then... so i told him...

You see my parents live an hour away. They live in a small town. In this town they have a school. The same school i went to. Grades are from junior kindergarten to grade 8. This school has many volunteers, they have smaller classrooms and are very anti-bullying. I know every school has a bully but since the school has about 10 teachers/aids out during recess, the chances of bullying is very low. They have a zero tolerance policy. Every 3 months they have a anti-bullying assembly where all the teachers, students and helpers are in the gym for about 2 hours listening to bullying stories, how to respond to bullies, and the school brings in people who do programs for anti bullying.

Anti-bullying is not the only reason i love this school. The teachers are kind, caring and very one on one. They want their students to achieve the best that they can, but do not put pressure or stress on their students. Each classroom consists of a teacher, and 1-2 helpers/aids. The student number does not exceed 15 students. Like i said- its a small town.

They focus on healthy eating. They serve breakfast there for every student (its not based on income, they want to ensure that each student has a healthy start to each day and don't go hungry). They also do 2 snacks a day of healthy eating. These are just some reasons why i love this school. They started doing this when i was in grade 6 and continue to do so. (I have talked with friends who children attend this school as well as teachers who i still am in contact with.)

So since the school is obviously out of our district being an hour away... i had to phone the school. My mother, myself and dd went to the school 2 weeks ago. I told them our situation. Being that dhs job is in the city we can not move out here but that i have searched all schools and i can not find a better one than this one, would it be okay if dd attended. They seemed concerned at first. I would be driving dd to school every day and were concern how that would affect her since she is young. My mother piped up at this point and said "What is she stays with us during the week, so she can attend this school?"

I didnt think my mother would offer that, but they seemed happy about what she said. They said they would talk to the school board since technically dds address is in the city.

So A week later, we got the phone call. DD got in the school! (YAY!) I tell DH and he doesn't like it. He thinks it weird that dd will be gone 5 days out of the week and they must think we are bad parents if we just drop dd off each Sunday and pick her up every Friday. I told him the school is great, it will work , dd is really excited (she got to meet the first grade class lol and cried when we had to leave because she wanted to stay!)

So ive been thinking all week... if you found out that a student in your childs classroom lives with their grandparents the majority of the time and their parents were an hour away, would you think its weird? Would you think badly?

I just love this school, i want dd in this school... DH doesn't agree though :/

***we can not move. DH refuses to. I was suppose to go back to work once dd was in school but now considering only doing part time and then on days off- staying with my parents during dds school days. DH thinks the city schools are fine for dd, but i just can not agree. I should add DH has only been in city schools. Spent one year in a town school.  I have only been in small town schools. I think they are just better and i even talked to his mother and DH was in a small town school for one year and she said he was doing great and then his parents moved back to the city and his grades fell.

If you got through this thankyou. I know it is very long... and i am sorry! I just need advice!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
No I wouldn't think it was weird. I'd think that whatever the arrangement, it was made for a reason. We drive DS an hour each way to school every day because its the best school we could find.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I hope others see this way as well.

Quoting mom2ljh:

No I wouldn't think it was weird. I'd think that whatever the arrangement, it was made for a reason. We drive DS an hour each way to school every day because its the best school we could find.

LiliM
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I would drive her a couple of days a week, or take some time staying with my parents.  I would miss my kid.

But if you have to be in a better school, that's what you do.

We worked hard to make sure we got a house in a SD we love. 

~~JeezuzTitz!  We ain't got time for krazee!!~~

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM
My kids go to school about 30 min away because I feel its better. I do drive them though. I worry what it will do to your daughter being gone most of the week.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I would miss my kids way too much to be away from them. Ds went to a school about that far away last year and I would drive him everyday and then hang out at my parents house and drive him home. Thankfully, it was just a 1 year thing and he's in a great school much closer now. How long will you be doing this? For years possibly?

momof2891
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I agree. I would be willing to move if the schools here sucked. I don't blame if you for wanting her in a better school. Good luck!

Quoting mom2ljh:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Max 2 years. We will be moving to the town next to it. They are building a company in that area and dhs boss said he could be transferred there once its up which is in 2 years.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would miss my kids way too much to be away from them. Ds went to a school about that far away last year and I would drive him everyday and then hang out at my parents house and drive him home. Thankfully, it was just a 1 year thing and he's in a great school much closer now. How long will you be doing this? For years possibly?

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I think it's wrong.  It's not something I would do.  You could have researched the schools before you moved into the house.  I certainly would not do it for pre school, which is what she will be in next year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM
She will be in full day kindergarden. Requirement of age is 4 before December 2013. She will be 4 in November.

Quoting spunky946:

I think it's wrong.  It's not something I would do.  You could have researched the schools before you moved into the house.  I certainly would not do it for pre school, which is what she will be in next year.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Where do you live that kindergarten starts at 4?

Quoting Anonymous:

She will be in full day kindergarden. Requirement of age is 4 before December 2013. She will be 4 in November.

Quoting spunky946:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured