Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Tattooed mamas*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
I'm looking online at how to care for a brand new tattoo and all of the information is very conflicting.
Plastic wrap is supposedly good and very bad, the length of time to keep it covered varies wildly, I'm confused!
I'm getting my first tattoo tomorrow, a memorial for my sister. It will be on my upper arm. Not huge but not exactly tiny. I'm paranoid and assuming my artist won't tell me what to do.
I thought I'd look it up and educate myself, get what I need from the store and stuff. Now I'm just confused what methods and what products are the best :-\
What are your tips for handling the new tattoo and what products do you recommend?
Anything specifically NOT to do?
Thanks sexy tattooed ladies!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

You only keep it covered for a short period of time after having it done (No more than an hour..) As for the artist, if he does not give you proper care instructions- you need to find a new artist!

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

LOTS of A&D and DON'T pick the scab!  Keep it COVERED and MOIST always while healing with the A&D.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

They will probably wrap it. Keep it wrapped for at least an hour. Then wash it with warm water and use circular motions. Then apply a VERY LIGHT layer of A&D ointment. Wash twice a day and do A&D like 4 times a day. When it starts to peel (like 3-5) days later switch to lotion.

cmabbott
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Each artist will tell you different things.  Some say use A&D lightly to coat it for 3-7 days then use unscented lotion whenever it starts to peel.  Others day use just unscented lotions, or tattoo goo....  My preference is unscented lotion or vitamin e oil...  but over moisturizing will cause scabbing.

misskriss10
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I was always told to only keep my tattoos covered until my next shower. Your artist will give you all the information while youre there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Just use unscented lotion after 1-3i days of letting it heal.scab up. And use antibacterial soap. :) listen to your tattoo artist. Also i would suggest keeping clothes off of it at night as it can stick like the first couple of nights. I had it happen to me. It could happen :) my favorite thing to use though was coconut oil or vitamin e oil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristanna
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Remove bandage after 4 hours, wash tattoo off with mild soap and water, pat dry-don't bandage tattoo, wash tattoo and apply lotion 3 times daily, no salt water swimming, pool water or sun for 2 weeks, do not pick or scratch tattoo

iggwhipped72
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Mine told me to keep it in for four hours. And use aquaphor until its done peeling. Then just lotion and sunscreen.

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

You only keep it covered for a short period of time after having it done (No more than an hour..) As for the artist, if he does not give you proper care instructions- you need to find a new artist!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I use UNSCENTED Lubriderm! You can take the bandages off after 2 hours, then wash it with Gold dial antibacterial liquid and put the Lubriderm on it, you will want to wash it with the dial once a day at least, I do it last in the shower before I get out and then let it air dry and apply the lubriderm! Youll want to apply the lotion about every 2 to 3 hours!

kelly617
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM

The shop is supposed to put A&D ointment on it and wrapt it in saran wrap...

I usually leave it on overnight so my sheets don't get gross

I put A&D on it for a day or two...then switch to lubriderm lotion for a month or so

do NOT take it out in the sun (it hurts and can mess up the ink) and don't itch it

most likely your artist will tell you how THEY care for their tats....if you wanna go with that info thats cool too

OH and I like A&D because its cheap and works...its on the baby aisle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured