Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM ---> working single [broke] mom of 2.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
4 moms liked this

I've left my abusive DH, I've gotten myself a job, I've started finalizing the divorce process.   He didn't let me work for years, and he made decent money, was very demanding with what I cooked for him and how things were done.  I start work Monday, the kids and I move into our new place in a few weeks - staying with my parents for now, it's not available quite yet.  Money is going to be VERY tight.... and time management and stuff.... I'm getting a little overwhelmed.  They are both young, one is 6 one is 2.  I'm used to doing stuff during the day.... prepping dinner, etc (granted they were not simple meals), doing laundry during the day, etc.  Can any of you wonderful working ladies give me any advice on time management?  Kid friendly cheap recipes?  Stuff I can make in advance/ bulk?  Ways to save money?  Food I can take to work?  Quick breakfasts all around?  Anything like that.   I'll get home around 530pm with them.... makes me nervous getting all this done.

Also, trying to lose 30 lbs... so I don't want to eat junk all the time, but of course.... they always want mac n cheese!  

Going anon for this one for now.... 

thank you 

ETA:  I do have a crock pot... probably should have put that in my original post!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I'm not sure, as I am a terrible cook. However, I wish you the best of luck. Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Look onto Once a Month Cooking and use the crockpot a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM

thank you.   I'm sure you're not terrible.... just takes some practice.  :)

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

I'm not sure, as I am a terrible cook. However, I wish you the best of luck. Bump

jibberjabby
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM

moneysavingmom.com has a lot of freezer cooking recipes that are generally pretty healthy. She also has lots of good advice for time management and organization. I hope this helps!

JZB
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TeamTARDIS
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Home made spaghetti sauce can be frozen in portions and then added to pasta easily. Meat balls can also be frozen and then thawed out.

Chili, soups and lasagne are easy to freeze and relatively cheap to make.

TeamTARDIS
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

BTW good job on getting out of the abusive situation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Could you buy fresh veggies (or steamer bags) and meat in bulk. Bake chicken at 355 for 20 mins. That's pretty easy! I buy thinly sliced chicken and use fresh take (by Kraft ) and veggie steamers. It's quick easy and kiddos love it.    For breakfast I do oatmeal. For lunch, I make kids lunches and mine night before. Sandwiches with cucumber and fruit cup. Granola bar and apple for snacks. YOU CAN DO IT! I am a single mom and I work 12 hrs. 3 days a week.

WandaSue
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

crockpot! i love mine...you can find tons of recipes online too :) good luck mama

Nikki286
by Tosya on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

invest in a crock pot if you dont already have one.. set it on low and food will be ready when you get home. free days do all your shopping and cleaning so the rest of the week its just simple pick up nothing major cleaning besides dishes. left overs are good if you have access to a fridge and microwave at work.  you can find recipes on allrecipes.com for crock pots. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured