Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Now You Want To Re-home Your Rottweiler

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 114 Replies
7 moms liked this

I need to vent, because this just really ticks me off. (A little long, but a fast read)

First, I’ve had Rotties for a very long time.  Our first one joined our family twenty years ago, when my youngest was under a year old.  He actually learned to walk with the help of our dog who calmly walked beside him while having her fur, skin, ears and tail scrunched in my son’s little fists.  I currently have four Rotties.  They and the eleven before them were all rescues.  Getting a Rottie when you are clearly not prepared to own one creates problems for dog owners everywhere.  There is no shame in admitting that there are some breeds you just aren’t equipped to handle, no matter how much you think of yourself.   So, do your homework before getting a dog, because the shelters and rescues are already overwhelmed and do not need your fails. 

Rotties are known for things like endurance, loyalty, herding and protective instincts: It is what they were originally bred for.  They are quiet and confident, calm and courageous.  Aloof with strangers and reserved in new situations while they feel things out, but they are eager to please their owners. They are very strong in mind and body.  What you choose to do with these inherent traits is up to you.  Don’t spend six months undermining these characteristics because you didn’t know what you were doing and then try to pawn it off on a rescue that will then have to spend money fixing what you broke in order to re-home the dog. 

When trained properly by people who know what they are doing, a Rottie is an amazing family pet.  They love to play, but need to work, require lots of exercise and demand respect with their training. Training is not a one-time thing; it is an ongoing and consistent part of a Rottie’s life. Rotties are steadfast and extremely intelligent, so they need an intelligent, strong-minded owner.  If you get a dog that is smarter than you, you are going to have a bad time.  Get a cat instead, since although they are smart too, they can’t do as much damage as a Rottie.

Owning a dog, especially one considered a “dominant” breed requires a lot of time, money and commitment.  If you aren’t able to provide all of those things then please get a stuffed animal.

**This rant was in response to an earlier post about re-homing a Rottie puppy.  That is why it was Rottie specific, but of course pertains to all dogs!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I own one and l live him.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I don't understand bumping your own post.  If people are interested or have knowledge about this, they will respond.  If not, they won't. 

If you have FOUR bully-breed dogs, I hope that they are well secured and that you own your own home.  No landlord who maintains nice properties will let in someone with four large dogs. 

I agree with you that people should spend a serious amount of time thinking about and researching the sort of dog that would suit their family. 

mattiehatter
by Mary on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I love Rotties. My mother had one that herded her deceased husbands daughter. It was hilarious to watch.

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:23 AM
3 moms liked this

this is with all dogs not just rotties. all dogs need a strong owner the bigger the dog the stronger the owner has to be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Actually I did rent a very nice property with four Rotties until 5 years ago at over 2K a month rent. I don't know what you mean by "secured", but the yard was fenced in.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't understand bumping your own post.  If people are interested or have knowledge about this, they will respond.  If not, they won't. 

If you have FOUR bully-breed dogs, I hope that they are well secured and that you own your own home.  No landlord who maintains nice properties will let in someone with four large dogs. 

I agree with you that people should spend a serious amount of time thinking about and researching the sort of dog that would suit their family. 

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM
So true!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

..and I bumped it because after I got done reading the other post, I was very annoyed while typing this one and needed a little attention and for someone to come here and agree with me.  It made me feel better to know not all dog owners are irresponsible.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

The bigger the dog and the smarter the dog.  I've seen a poodle terrorize her owner and take advantage at every turn.  Smartest little dog I ever saw, but very vicious and undisciplined. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

this is with all dogs not just rotties. all dogs need a strong owner the bigger the dog the stronger the owner has to be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM

They can't help but herd! My first Rottie used to always herd the kids away from our pool even though it had a 5 ft. fence and the gate was double locked lol

Quoting mattiehatter:

I love Rotties. My mother had one that herded her deceased husbands daughter. It was hilarious to watch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, I agree with everything you said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN