Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Valentine's day... I'm SO STUPID!! :(

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM
  • 12 Replies

My girl just started pre-k in January and she's only going 2 half-days a week, just to warm her up for the fall when she starts Kindergarten. They had a Valentine's Day party and we signed up to bring cookies. I asked the teachers if we needed to bring anything else and they said no. For some reason it didn't occur to me until that morning that maybe we should get valentines. She was probably the only kid who didn't bring something for the others. I feel SO HORRIBLE for her, even though she seems to feel it's no big deal, but I know what that feels like to be the only kid not prepared, and for her to experience that so young breaks my heart. And it's ALL. MY. FAULT. That's why I'm up at 4am typing about this, because it keeps turning itself in my head and my heart aches for her. I keep beating myself up about it and I can't stop thinking of it. I am SO STUPID!!! Why didn't I think of that? It was too late by that morning to go get some before school. I'm so sad for her. :( :( :(

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opal10161973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM
1 mom liked this

DF had to go out the night before at 10pm because both kids failed to mention they were having a party.  ERG!

He was great, too.  Came back with not only Valentine's, but candy for the classes and each child got a box of chocolate.  AWWWW!

Then, he failed to get me anything.  DERP!

Mommy2AlexAraya
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM
I remembered at the last minute to get cards this year. I made dh run out to walgreens to pick some up before school that morning and rushed through filling them out while dd was getting ready for school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hierophant85
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM
I didn't realize until Thursday morning that ds needed to bring valentines. Sent Df to the store but nothing was open yet. We ended up cutting hearts out of construction paper and he put the to whoever love him on them.
I felt like an ass for not getting valentines ahead of time though.
But you provided a treat for the party, so it's not like you forgot altogether. I wouldn't worry about it too much, we all make mistakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beco8627
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I freakin did the exact same thing, lol! My son is also in preK, and for some reason I was thinking that because they didn't give us a "notice" to bring Valentines, and that because it was only preK, maybe they weren't exchanging them....I brought napkins, like I was asked to; and when we got into his class the teacher asked him if he had his Valentines.... uuummm. I was able to make an excuse and play it off well, but I felt like such an ass since he was the only one that didn't bring any!!
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I know I have done it too! But here's a tip to prevent that in the future... go the day or 2 after when all the stores have marked prices down & buy a bunch of boxes. You can probably get 6 boxes after for the price of one before! And then put them somewhere you are likely to remember them next year! If possible write down on your calendar or something where you put them so you don't have to worry about losing them!
MamaLisa1976
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I feel horrible!!! But like I said, she seems like it was no big deal but when I asked her she said she went up to  Miss Rose and said "I don't have any Valentines". It crushed my heart. but she seems ok about it. It's just she's kind of having a hard time adjusting and making friends. She has good days and bad days. I hope the kids didn't make fun of her for not having any.  

Quoting beco8627:

I freakin did the exact same thing, lol! My son is also in preK, and for some reason I was thinking that because they didn't give us a "notice" to bring Valentines, and that because it was only preK, maybe they weren't exchanging them....I brought napkins, like I was asked to; and when we got into his class the teacher asked him if he had his Valentines.... uuummm. I was able to make an excuse and play it off well, but I felt like such an ass since he was the only one that didn't bring any!!

MamaLisa1976
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

That is an awesome idea. Dollar General has all their stuff like 50 and 75% off!

Quoting CampClan:

I know I have done it too! But here's a tip to prevent that in the future... go the day or 2 after when all the stores have marked prices down & buy a bunch of boxes. You can probably get 6 boxes after for the price of one before! And then put them somewhere you are likely to remember them next year! If possible write down on your calendar or something where you put them so you don't have to worry about losing them!

MissTyff
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't beat yourself up mama! The teacher should have informed you that they would be exchanging Valentine's. You're not stupid, and seriously, when she's 25 I doubt she'll look back and say, "Damnit, mom! Why didn't you give me Valentine's cards for my Pre-K party?!!"

Relax. 

hugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you really think 4 year olds notice this crap?  Hopefully you are teaching your daughter not to notice or care who has stupid valtine's day crap made in china.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
It's ok it happens I did that with my oldest when he was in daycare. Good thing is he doesn't remember it.Lol Now I have backups I buy at half price after valentines day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured