Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drugging a 2 year old? edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I took dd to the dr yesterday and her dr had no idea what melatonin was. I mean at all.So i decided to ask the pharmacist at my local drug store. She said to give her benadryl because you cant give melatonin to a 2 year old. My question is (because clearly these 2 women are idiots) isnt it bettet to give her melatonin than to give benadryl? Shes been having a really tough time sleeping for a few months and i wanted to get it for us both.

Edit- Wow. I was only wanting suggestions and a little advice. I never said i was going to give it to her. I am changing her dr though because, at the least, she should know what melatonin is. I wont give her anything. Ill try something different. A different routine or something. You ladies are brutal.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Replies (271-277):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I know it's made by the body.  It doesn't mean a man made kind is good or if having an excess amount in the body is good.  There are things that are natural in the body but can be dangerous to take because the body can regulate the natural kind but not the man made kind and you can end up with too much in your system and have organ problems. 

I don't believe giving herbal supplements to a child is a good idea.  Parents seem to be quick to jump on the melatonin wagon.  How about changing the daily routine?  Cut out naps?  Bedtime routine? etc. 

Quoting cupcake_mom:

melatonin is made naturally by your body. not saying you didnt have a reaction to something that might have been mixed in with the melatonin pill, i mean it is man made melatonin, right. when taking vitamins and things like that you really do get what you pay for and you have to look at the lable and really read what is in it.

Quoting Anonymous:

You posted in confessions with a post titled Drugging a 2 year old?  What did you expect?

I would give benadryl before melatonin.  benadryl has been FDA approved and tested.  Who really knows what the long term affects of melatonin are.  I've taken it and had a reaction. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, no no no. I was a Koolaid drinker, too. Then I was nearly killed by "good medicine" and my kids were vax injured. That's when I started digging. Don't be ridiculous. I am anything but simple.
SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Quoting nicolee0821:

They have flavored liquid melatonin. My daughters ped recommended it because she has a hard time winding down at night and then woke up repeatedly at night for no apparent reason. It doesn't make you sleep. It is meant to relax you so you are able to fall asleep. We started her on it at 3. It's definitely not a permanent solution. We would give her a bath, get into Jammie's, take the melatonin and by the time we finished reading her story she'd be dozing off. Develop a bedtime routine and then once its established, try without the melatonin. It worked for us.

Yes!My DS is 5 and on the Autism Spectrum.  We used melatonin successfully for a couple yrs now,and he does not need it every night now!  LOL,he tells ME when to read a book w/him,when to cuddle,and most night falls asleep on his own now.  It does not have to be forever.  I buy the orange flavored liquid,never had a problem.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Melatonin is a hormone that I wouldn't even use and I have insomnia.

She could be in a growth spurt.

I wouldn't use anything to help a child to sleep but a book.

Gl mama!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jynnifer292
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Oh no, I didn't mean that you did. A lot of women on here will go along with what a doctor says just because they are a doctor. It was my own research that led to my own diagnosis. Had I said on here, "I think I have this" I would have gotten a snarky question about where I got my medical degree. You can be a doctor and not be a good one. That was what I was saying, not that you think that they should know it all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't expect the Dr top know everything. I do expect the Dr to be knowledgeable about most topics. Had she explained to me why she didn't see the need for melatonin instead of not knowing anything about it at all i would have respected her more.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I would absolutely expect a doctor to know what it was, since it is widely used now. It kind of blows the idea that some on here have that doctors know everything.

Quoting Anonymous:

She didnt know what melatonin was at all. Not just about the pill or liquid. She didnt knew it was something your brain made. Nothing. Nada. Surprised the crap out of me.

Quoting Bonita131:

Melatonin (pills) can be deadly to a small child and to an adult if they have existing medical conditions. As for your doctor not knowing what melatonin is, that's not surprising as Melatonin (pills) were almost unheard of at one time. Your doctor would know about the melatonin your body produces, but you cannot expect she or he to automatically know melatonin can now be bought in pill form. Whats even worse is now everyone and their uncle is taking Melatonin pills and recommending them, even though they can be harmful to children and people with existing medical conditions.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM
My DS is 2. He has been an awful sleeper from the start. We tried everything! We just finished a month with a sleep consultant and had no luck, got worse in fact. So Thursday we go to a sleep doctor. We had, and are again using very small 1-3 mg of melatonin as our doctor recommended as his problems are bad but they can't yet figure out a cause. Sometimes melatonin can cause nightmares, so the lower the dose the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Ahh okay. Sorry. :)

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Oh no, I didn't mean that you did. A lot of women on here will go along with what a doctor says just because they are a doctor. It was my own research that led to my own diagnosis. Had I said on here, "I think I have this" I would have gotten a snarky question about where I got my medical degree. You can be a doctor and not be a good one. That was what I was saying, not that you think that they should know it all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't expect the Dr top know everything. I do expect the Dr to be knowledgeable about most topics. Had she explained to me why she didn't see the need for melatonin instead of not knowing anything about it at all i would have respected her more.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I would absolutely expect a doctor to know what it was, since it is widely used now. It kind of blows the idea that some on here have that doctors know everything.

Quoting Anonymous:

She didnt know what melatonin was at all. Not just about the pill or liquid. She didnt knew it was something your brain made. Nothing. Nada. Surprised the crap out of me.

Quoting Bonita131:

Melatonin (pills) can be deadly to a small child and to an adult if they have existing medical conditions. As for your doctor not knowing what melatonin is, that's not surprising as Melatonin (pills) were almost unheard of at one time. Your doctor would know about the melatonin your body produces, but you cannot expect she or he to automatically know melatonin can now be bought in pill form. Whats even worse is now everyone and their uncle is taking Melatonin pills and recommending them, even though they can be harmful to children and people with existing medical conditions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)