Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drugging a 2 year old? edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 277 Replies
1 mom liked this
I took dd to the dr yesterday and her dr had no idea what melatonin was. I mean at all.So i decided to ask the pharmacist at my local drug store. She said to give her benadryl because you cant give melatonin to a 2 year old. My question is (because clearly these 2 women are idiots) isnt it bettet to give her melatonin than to give benadryl? Shes been having a really tough time sleeping for a few months and i wanted to get it for us both.

Edit- Wow. I was only wanting suggestions and a little advice. I never said i was going to give it to her. I am changing her dr though because, at the least, she should know what melatonin is. I wont give her anything. Ill try something different. A different routine or something. You ladies are brutal.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Melatonin hands down ! Just make sure u are giving he the proper amount for her age/weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Neuro
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Melatonin. I am thoroughly surprised that the doctor didn't know what that is. I'd be a little bit concerned if I were you. Melatonin is very well known.

Mommy2AlexAraya
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes melatonin would be better than benadryl. Just make sure you give her the right dosage. Your pediatrician will be able to tell you for sure but I believe it is 1 milligram.

Sorry just saw that you asked your dr and they didn't know what it was. That surprises me because it is very well know and your body naturally produces it. When dd was three they told me to give her 1 milligram so I would think for a two year old it would be between 1/2 to 1 milligram.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:18 AM
20 moms liked this
Is she really having a hard time sleeping, or is it that you're having a hard time with her sleep habits?
I wouldn't give my kids sleep aids unless it was absolutely necessary and ok'd by their doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Shes 2 and 31 lbs. I have no idea what amount to give since people keep telling me dont give it to her cause shes too young.

Quoting Fields456:

Melatonin hands down ! Just make sure u are giving he the proper amount for her age/weight.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM

While I have seen it recommended for a lot of kids with autism (my son has it) The company that makes it says on their site not to give it to anyone under 18. So i would think 2 is definitely to little but maybe when older you can give a little. (my son is 3 and i wont do it. perhpas when 10+ I'll revisit the idea) I don't think they were idiots, just trying to prevent you from suing them when something goes wrong and the product clearly says 18+ on it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Both. I would never give her something i didnt think was necessary. Shes not even getting 7-8 hours of sleep a day. At 2, shes supposed to be getting at least 10-13 per her idiot dr.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is she really having a hard time sleeping, or is it that you're having a hard time with her sleep habits?

I wouldn't give my kids sleep aids unless it was absolutely necessary and ok'd by their doctor.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM

I had looked it up when it was free at Rite aid a few weeks back. Now it says 16+ i swear it said 18 before :/ Anyway, I kow benadryl says not to give to kids 6 and under and some doctors say its okay but its not as big as an age gap. But i wouldn't do benadryl for sleep anyway since its not what its used for and if it may not work why do it

Other Ingredients: Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Magnesium Stearate.

No Artificial Colors. No Artificial Flavors. No Preservatives. No Yeast. No Gluten.

Caution: If you are under medical supervision, or are taking tranquilizers or sedatives, seek the advice of your physician prior to using melatonin. Do not use melatonin if you have an auto-immune condition, depressive or endocrine disorder, or are pregnant or lactating. Do not take melatonin while operating a motor vehicle or machinery. Not to be taken by individuals under the age of 16.

As ingredients may change from time to time, please check the label on the bottle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:24 AM
3 moms liked this
I would check for underlying causes first. If you don't feel her doctor is good enough find a new one who can help her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Both. I would never give her something i didnt think was necessary. Shes not even getting 7-8 hours of sleep a day. At 2, shes supposed to be getting at least 10-13 per her idiot dr.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM
The reason it says 18+ on it is because there haven't been any studies on how it effects a person under age 18.

Quoting lasombrs:

While I have seen it recommended for a lot of kids with autism (my son has it) The company that makes it says on their site not to give it to anyone under 18. So i would think 2 is definitely to little but maybe when older you can give a little. (my son is 3 and i wont do it. perhpas when 10+ I'll revisit the idea) I don't think they were idiots, just trying to prevent you from suing them when something goes wrong and the product clearly says 18+ on it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN