Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you organize your pantry? Mine is a mess! (With pics, lol)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

I organize my pantry once a month. Really. I do try. Then we grocery shop and shove stuff in. Then the kids go in there and dig through it all. I think my pantry is just too small. I looked up ehows and such, but they all show images of huge pantries where the homeowners keep only 7 things in their pantry and its all uniformed and lined up, lol. The organization store just sells stuff to complicate things. How do real people manage their pantry? I think my main problem is that I have too much stuff and not enough pantry.

Here is my mess: It is hard to see, but the "floor" space just holds juice, oil, beer, and soda (and my trash can since my 2 year old kept ripping off the lid and pouring my trash on the floor.

Help me :(

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM

BUMP

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Bins and baskets. Lots and lots of them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM

What do you sort the contents of the baskets by? Like, "baking stuff" wouldn't overly make sense. I use flour on a weekly basis, but the rest of the baking supplies are rarely touched. I suck at organization :( I should hire someone to organize my life.

Quoting Hanab818:

yperez0209
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It just looks like you have too much stuff in there. I would empty the whole thing out, wipe the surfaces and get to work. Make groups, put all the cans together, then juice boxes, pasta and so on. Then start putting stuff back. If you need to shove things in there then it's time to find another spot. I would not buy any of those organization gadgets. The space is only equipped to hold so much.

BTW gotta love two yr olds that dump the garbage all over the floor, I've had a few of those.

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Snacks for the kids are on the bottom shelf(fruit cups,popcorn, nuts). Next shelf has condiments, peanut butter,rice, pasta. Third shelf has canned goods. Top shelf is any sweets, cereal, chips, things we don't eat everyday.
You have a lot of stuff in there. Hey nutella, my son loves that stuff.
mary841108
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I only have 2 shelves in mine

top shelve: boxes: pasta, mac & cheese, cereal, rice, noodles, (keep all the items grouped together by size and type

bottom shelf: canned goods: again organize by type all the corn on in on row ect.

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Pull everything out and sort accordingly. Pasta and rice. Canned. Baking stuff. So on an so forth. And get baskets and bin dollar stores have some good ones. And label them.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you sort the contents of the baskets by? Like, "baking stuff" wouldn't overly make sense. I use flour on a weekly basis, but the rest of the baking supplies are rarely touched. I suck at organization :( I should hire someone to organize my life.

Quoting Hanab818:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Jolee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM
One of the things I loved about our house when we looked at it before we bought it was... The HUGE pantry! It is a pantry and laundry room in one so its almost as big as my walk in closet. I have about 12 ft of shelving and about five shelves. It doubles as my storage for te rotisserie, crockpot, punch bowl, etc. I suck at organizing small spaces so I am no help for you. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LDavis33
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Mason jars are a cheap alternative to expensive storage bins (especially when they go on sale after canning season).  I keep all of my dry goods in them (rice, pasta, sugar, salt, etc).  I have one shelf devoted to my jars and some extra baking items, one for snacks, one for cans, and one for larger items (cereal boxes, cooking oil etc.).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm thinking of rehoming the contents of one of my other cabinets and moving the "daily use" stuff out of the pantry. Or moving the never used stuff out. I dunno. Or I could box up some unopened stuff and dump it at a food pantry but I feel bad to donate "unwanted" stuff. 

When we moved in here I was overwhelmed by the size of my kitchen. Now its full to the brim and just annoys me. We had the room so I bought every kitchen gadget and cluttered up the world.

Quoting yperez0209:

It just looks like you have too much stuff in there. I would empty the whole thing out, wipe the surfaces and get to work. Make groups, put all the cans together, then juice boxes, pasta and so on. Then start putting stuff back. If you need to shove things in there then it's time to find another spot. I would not buy any of those organization gadgets. The space is only equipped to hold so much.

BTW gotta love two yr olds that dump the garbage all over the floor, I've had a few of those.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)