Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

retailers report horrible sales for February. Blame it on the expiration of the payroll tax

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

(Reuters) - Shares of Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) fell 2.1 percent on Friday after Bloomberg quoted a mid-level executive's email as saying the world's largest retailer had the worst sales start to any month in seven years in February.

Wal-Mart executives blamed the poor sales performance on increased payroll taxes as well as delayed tax returns, Bloomberg said.

Higher payroll taxes this year are seen as a potential problem for Wal-Mart and other discount retailers that try to attract lower-income customers who have less disposable income.

"In case you haven't seen a sales report these days, February (month-to-date) sales are a total disaster," Jerry Murray, a Wal-Mart vice president who works on finance in the U.S. logistics division, said in a February 12 email to other executives, Bloomberg reported. "The worst start to a month I have seen in my (about) 7 years with the company."

The weak February sales start came after a disappointing January, according to an email from Cameron Geiger, senior vice president of Wal-Mart U.S. Replenishment. Geiger's email was also quoted by Bloomberg. The replenishment department works on moving products from distribution centers to stores.

"Have you ever had one of those weeks where your best- prepared plans weren't good enough to accomplish everything you set out to do?" Geiger asked in a February 1 email to company executives. "Well, we just had one of those weeks here at Walmart U.S. Where are all the customers? And where's their money?"

Wal-Mart is scheduled to report fourth-quarter earnings on Thursday and has not pre-reported any sales figures.

Analysts on average expect fourth-quarter sales at Walmart U.S. discount stores open at least a year to rise 1.7 percent, excluding gasoline sales, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Asked for a comment on the Bloomberg report, Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar said in a statement: "As with any organization, we often see internal communications that are not entirely accurate, that lack the proper context and represent individual opinions."

Wal-Mart shares closed down 2.1 percent at $69.30 on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday.

(Reporting by Brad Dorfman in Chicago and Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles; editing by John Wallace and Matthew Lewis)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

bump.

IF retailers are reporting lower numbers (this site retailers once but then mainly talks about walmart) i don't blame it soely on the the payroll tax.

I blame it on the rising costs of everything. Gas at Christmas time was 2.98 here; it is now 3.89. Our health insurance premiums went up 62 dollars a month and our dental insurance went up 15. I am also paying more for food now than i was at the end of last year.

MeaganP
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM
And. It will be over in 4 years and then we will have Hillary Clinton as president
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by Katie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Tax returns getting bumped back helped nothing either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM
My husbands in sales and they are having a terrific month. They will probably set a new record! Yay for irresponsible people with big tax returns!
kngarber
by Katie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Oh, AND if Wal-Mart wasn't a bunch of asshats they'd have more customers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting kngarber:

were they really bumped back. I know they didn't take them until the 30th but seems people still got them the first of feb.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting kngarber:

Oh, AND if Wal-Mart wasn't a bunch of asshats they'd have more customers.

That is true; but this article says walmart AND other discount retailers. so seems like walmart isn't the only one facing this problem; its other places as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Jesus Christ super star I hope not.

Quoting MeaganP:

And. It will be over in 4 years and then we will have Hillary Clinton as president

MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Gas has gone up a dollar since the inauguration. Everything is shooting up.

Good for Wal-Mart. They suck anyway.
MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Still haven't gotten mine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

were they really bumped back. I know they didn't take them until the 30th but seems people still got them the first of feb.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)