Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you agree with this statement

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

In our current affairs/debate class Thursday, our professor said that a family who earns 60K a year has the same disposable income  "left over money" as someone who earns 20K a year.

he says that when you add the tax returns, the public assistance that lower income families receive it makes the disposable income at the end of the year close to being the same as a earner of 60K. He says that its because the 60K earner has health insurance premiums, dental premiums, and gets little to no tax returns, SO at the end of the year their 'left over money' is equivalent to that of a lower income person's left over money. He argued that tax returns are boosts to income for lower class..so if your tax return was 5000 that actually makes your income 5000 dollars more.

he says at the end of the year it all even outs for the lower to middle middle class and the lower class.

A lot of people did not agree with him. I didn't. Because i earn 22K and i honestly feel i don't have the same amount of play money as my sister who earns 54K.

i know he was talking about at the end of the year and not throughout the year, but still. I just don't see how. Yes we get food stamps and medicaid but i still have to pay my rent and utilities and make my car payment.

Agree? disagree?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southern.momof2
by Pirate on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Maybe not the same, but It's close.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cuppycake1919
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Interesting
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I disagree with the professor. He sounds a know it all who doesn't have a clue.
ILoveMyFam
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
This. You said it in your reply, yes you pay rent and utilities, but the $ staying in your pocket since you receive food stamps and such, is being spent by the person who doesn't receive that help.

Quoting southern.momof2:

Maybe not the same, but It's close.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

He's actually a really good professor. He seriously makes you think about some of the topics we discuss.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I totally agree. Health insurance premiums are extremely high along with copays, meds, etc. add up what you would be paying for those. Then add the amount you get back in taxes and in foodstamps to your income. I would bet it is almost equal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I make 29 a year. I have my health insurance through my work. I only get 100 in FS a month and do not qualify for cash assistance. I have 4 kids all with varying health issues that I have to pay out of pocket for. My bills are (not counting fuel for my van, food or clothing or child care) 1,400 a month. I bring home 1,600 a month. I am suppose to get 350 a month in CS. Add in the not counted for things and I do not have any extra money. I save where I can and do things very frugal, but that is to survive. If I made 60 a year I would be very comfortable.
Mommy383
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Yeah he may have a point. Add $6000 in food stamps, free medical care with no copays, premiums, etc. Then turn around and get $6000 in tax return. All that adds up, you have between $15,000-20,000 in benefits, cash. Now that person making $54,000 has insurance premiums, will not get a big tax return and boom they are almost even.
Mommy383
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you think he doesn't have a clue?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I agree completely with him. Which is why people say "why work?" Might as well live off PA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)