Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interest/penalties on back child support?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 0 Replies

My ex owes back child support, since the case has been open he's rarely paid anything except for 1 tax return the first year and a few odd payments the first 2 years. For the last 4 years he pays every 6mths the most minimum payment he can get away with (this is in court where they tell him to pay to stay out of jail) I have received $5, $20 etc. Last 2 years he has had to pay the full amount which is $100 (use to be $350 but because he doesn't have a job they lowered it). So basically he owes a good amount.  Well I got payments in Jan and Feb (which is amazing to get 2 payments in a row) I had signed on to my account and the balance went from $13,500 to $15,900! I called my case worker and she said it's most likely interest or penalties for non-payment. The case is in a different state than where I live so she didn't know exactly why but that was her guess. I didn't realize they could do this, they never done it before and our case has been open 6yrs. I asked my mom and she had the same problem with my sisters dad and they never added on to it but this was years ago. Is this a normal occurrence or would there be another reason for it to go up?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured