Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do/did your kids learn in preschool?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 56 Replies

i ask this because i was informed by my fiance that kids that attend the headstart (preschool) here really just play with toys and socialize.

for some reason i thought preschools actually tried to teach a little, and that is more than a daycare or a sort. 

is this typical for public preschools?

btw our preschool is incrediably small basically one room 10-15 students per year, but its incrediably small town with  only a couple hundred people resideing in it.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jb022210
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

i ask this because my lil boy will be starting this fall.

mhaney03
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

mine did but here, preschool is run by and is in the public school.  We also have a head start program that is for kids that didn't make it to the waiting list for the preschool or aren't old enough yet.  I don't know what they do there, mine never went.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Our girl's went to a private pre school and when they started K they were so far advanced they were bored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Children learn best through play. A high quality preschool teaches through play using developmentally appropriate methods. What appears to be play are carefully chosen activities and materials put in place to educate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jenn on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

My kids were not allowed to attend the headstart/public preschools, so they did not go. IDK what they might have learned.

Fabulous24
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Mine did. My dd is in kindergarten and she is way ahead. I have a 3 year old and he also has learned so much. 

jb022210
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

what did yours learn? like what things did they do?

Quoting mhaney03:

mine did but here, preschool is run by and is in the public school.  We also have a head start program that is for kids that didn't make it to the waiting list for the preschool or aren't old enough yet.  I don't know what they do there, mine never went.

jb022210
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

why were they not allowed?

Quoting Pnukey:

My kids were not allowed to attend the headstart/public preschools, so they did not go. IDK what they might have learned.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Not all preschools.. But headstart is an AMAZING program.

jb022210
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

well i figured alot would be specific play activites but the way my fiance made it sound, she made it seem like it was just a daycare like place.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Children learn best through play. A high quality preschool teaches through play using developmentally appropriate methods. What appears to be play are carefully chosen activities and materials put in place to educate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)