Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My sister lied on her food stamp application...UPDATE.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 207 Replies
UPDATE: I called my sister this morning and told her I was worried she was going to get in trouble for not reporting her boyfriend's income. She told me basically not to worry, but after I hounded her a bit she agreed that she would fill out a new form using both their incomes. I told her welfare fraud is serious and she could go to jail. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

My sister and her boyfriend live together and have a young son. They are struggling a little, though they both work. She applied for food stamps. On the application, she didn't write that her boyfriend lives with them. She only counted her income. I told her this was dumb and she could get in trouble. She insists that because they're not married, she can get assistance based only on her income.

Am I right? Can she get in trouble?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessi19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I live with my mom but dont have to include her income...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

yes she can...you have to include the income of everyone living in the household, regardless of relation, if she is on the lease....if she is renting a room, she needs a note from the landlord about the eating arrangements. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Really? Hmm. Do they know you live with her?

Quoting jessi19:

I live with my mom but dont have to include her income...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM

if the bf is not on the lease, and they don't know he lives with her, then there's probably no problem....if he's the father of the boy, then there's a problem. 

BlessedToBeMe
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

lots of ppl do that but I'm pretty sure your right & she's suppose to tell them about him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
3 moms liked this
She is right. She doesnt have to include his income.
H.E.Smama
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
They should make her open a cs case then. Normally unless both parents live in the household you have to have a cs case on the one not living there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Yeah, he is the father, and he is also on the lease.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the bf is not on the lease, and they don't know he lives with her, then there's probably no problem....if he's the father of the boy, then there's a problem. 

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids father lives with is. It is one case and we qualified even with both our incomes for food stamps, no fraud necessary. Once you have children together, it counts as one household. If he was her boyfriend, but not her child's father he would be considered a roommate and their finances would not be considered together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach7224
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

if you make meals together you are supposed to list all the income. Here in oregon is you say they dont eat at the same time they will still help you even with there income... however to not list them is a big no no. Im sure it depends on the state laws there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)