Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How concerned are you about climate change?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the talk going around about how we're heading towards a two degree global average temperature increase that could cause crop failures and food prices to go up, are you worried?

Do you think it's a possible doom for humanity? A problem at all? Made up? Have you ever read any books on the subject, or otherwise learned about it? 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I'm not concerned. Weather just like everything is cyclical. It'll change again just like the La Nina  and Nino.

jesistar6910
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

It was almost 60 degrees today in my part of Colorado. . . in February. Yeah, I believe it.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I worry! Living in Southern Louisiana all my life, we never had really cold or long winters; but in the past couple years it's almost nonexistent. 

Kitschy
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
This.
living near Chicago it never occurred to me that my kids wouldn't grow up with snowy winters. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I've definitely noticed, Wisconsin winters have never been so mild. My dh swears that the Earth is simply going through a heating cycle (thank you Ancient Aliens lol) but I can't help but think we're just fucking the planet up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

But if crops start dying off I think that's going to have more of an effect than gas prices... We're a pretty over consuming nation, so I'm sure we'll get by even if we don't have as much abundance, but less is less.

Quoting ElitestJen:

I'm not concerned.

Gas prices affect food prices more than anything. 

harehelper
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Gas prices do have a serious effect, that's true. But the drought we had in 2012 affected it more, especially for corn crops. Beans did better, so the prices on them didn't go up quite as much.

Quoting ElitestJen:

I'm not concerned.

Gas prices affect food prices more than anything. 

harehelper
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

In what areas are frogs dying off? Toads live on land, so unless they are dying of thirst I don't know how lower water levels would have that much affect.

Quoting Annettey19:

The earth does go through heating cycles, so he's right, but scientists have discovered that we're heating up at a way faster rate than we have in the past. Also frogs and toads are starting to die off because their habitats are drying up which is a bad sign, and other ecosystems are getting out of whack.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've definitely noticed, Wisconsin winters have never been so mild. My dh swears that the Earth is simply going through a heating cycle (thank you Ancient Aliens lol) but I can't help but think we're just fucking the planet up.

Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

yes it concerns me. We have been horrid to this earth.

We need to do major damage control. I hate it.

I know it's not a lot, but my dh and I were talking about buying a large chunk of land that has been cleared out and start planting a lot of trees every 5 years.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't/want/use a dryer. All of our bulbs are "squiggle" bulbs. I mostly cloth diaper, bf, and recycle. I'm trying to help.

poshkat
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

i have been noticing that its warmer. everyone is complaining this year because "this winter is soooooo cold!!" uhhh DUH. its WINTER. the last two winters have been pretty mild and we didn't really have a deep freeze or a big snow storm. the other thing i noticed is that things seem to be hitting downstate a lot of more the last few years than up where we are. they seem to be getting more snow, wind, and winter type weather in the winter and storms and flooding in the summer that we usually get here upstate,  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN