Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How concerned are you about climate change?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the talk going around about how we're heading towards a two degree global average temperature increase that could cause crop failures and food prices to go up, are you worried?

Do you think it's a possible doom for humanity? A problem at all? Made up? Have you ever read any books on the subject, or otherwise learned about it? 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I believe it is a normal earth cycle. We haven't been keeping records long enough to know what really happens.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I have lived in the NE and the weather we have been getting is concerning.  Extreme winters and then some extremely mild ones.  HOT HOT summers,  Blizzards and hurricanes that we NEVER had before. Climate change is a concern    It is not made up.

TheMrs407
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Somewhat. I think we should do our part to be resourceful and responsible, but I don't feel like we will face the end of the world anytime soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I'm not to concerned
GoddessAnna
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM
No worries here.
Binkys_Buttons
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Was coming in here to say the same thing about eastern wa.lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that anyone concerned about global warming should move to Idaho, cause it clearly isn't affecting us. 

Josie_P
by Josie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Very. The reason I chose the field I work in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

It's because they lay their eggs in moist earth, and the ground drying up is causing their populations to shrink drastically. The living animals are surviving, but if they can't migrate fast enough to find better egg laying ground, they might not.

Quoting harehelper:

In what areas are frogs dying off? Toads live on land, so unless they are dying of thirst I don't know how lower water levels would have that much affect.

Quoting Annettey19:

The earth does go through heating cycles, so he's right, but scientists have discovered that we're heating up at a way faster rate than we have in the past. Also frogs and toads are starting to die off because their habitats are drying up which is a bad sign, and other ecosystems are getting out of whack.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've definitely noticed, Wisconsin winters have never been so mild. My dh swears that the Earth is simply going through a heating cycle (thank you Ancient Aliens lol) but I can't help but think we're just fucking the planet up.

Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I was reading about Greenland and its glaciers about a week ago. That's pretty scary that you've already been able to see it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have been over the Greenland area looking at the glaciers and the Greenland ice sheet, and it's amazing the change I saw in only 10 years.  It's a serious problem for this island because the outside edge of the island is a much higher elevation than the center.

If the ice sheet melts, there will be nothing but a ring of rocks surrounding a huge lake that makes up the whole island and the world's sea level will rise by 7meters because of the overflow.  Their temperature is rising faster than most places, with an average temperature that rose 11 degrees higher between 1991 and 2004.

Quoting Annettey19:

The earth does go through heating cycles, so he's right, but scientists have discovered that we're heating up at a way faster rate than we have in the past. Also frogs and toads are starting to die off because their habitats are drying up which is a bad sign, and other ecosystems are getting out of whack.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've definitely noticed, Wisconsin winters have never been so mild. My dh swears that the Earth is simply going through a heating cycle (thank you Ancient Aliens lol) but I can't help but think we're just fucking the planet up.

Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

How would it be capitalists preying on weakminded people? I'm pretty sure capitalists are much more invested and interested in oil. If anything they'd want to brush it all off I'd imagine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not very. I think it's part of Earth's natural fluctuations in temp and capitalist are praying on weak minded people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured