Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How concerned are you about climate change?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the talk going around about how we're heading towards a two degree global average temperature increase that could cause crop failures and food prices to go up, are you worried?

Do you think it's a possible doom for humanity? A problem at all? Made up? Have you ever read any books on the subject, or otherwise learned about it? 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I'm concerned but there isn't shit we can do about now so it is what it is.
Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

You're right, but the scary thing that I was reading, was that if it gets a certain number of degrees too warm, the plankton in the ocean will start dying. That might not sound like a big deal, but when you consider how many marine animals depend on plankton as some part of their food chain, it could devastate the productivity of the oceans, and hence the food supply of lots of places.

Also deserts will start expanding, and all sorts of other horrible chain reactions will occur in various ecosystems. I think as humans we'll survive yes, and being that we're in such a rich country we have good chances. But not everyone will. That's what's really sad to me. 

Quoting oOoLeilanioOo:

We're extremely resilient and adapt to almost any condition, I think we'll make it! 

HippiePotpie
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM
The climate changed. Honey bees are dying off and once they are gone so are humans. I worry but, getting active and protesting big oil and going to green energy sources will help. One day it will be cold and snowy in California and tropical in Alaska.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2five87:

I'm not worried. I mean... there is nothing I can do about it so why worry?

Nothing you can do about it? Do you cloth diaper, ebf, drive minimally, try to use minimal electricity and gas, plant trees, plant a garden, eat fresh foods (because the plants you buy those boxed foods from are wretched for the planet), I could go on. Please explain how there is nothing you can do?

Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

how is there nothing you can do to save the earth?

Quoting Anonymous:

Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Even if you can't do every thing on that list, just incorporate one or two of them into your life, and it'll become easy. :) I know the feeling of feeling helpless, but my motivation is that even if everyone else screws up, I want to at least know that I did what I could.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting Mom2five87:

I'm not worried. I mean... there is nothing I can do about it so why worry?

Nothing you can do about it? Do you cloth diaper, ebf, drive minimally, try to use minimal electricity and gas, plant trees, plant a garden, eat fresh foods (because the plants you buy those boxed foods from are wretched for the planet), I could go on. Please explain how there is nothing you can do?

JanineDeer
by Janine on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I have not yet heard ONE of the global warming caused by US scientists answer the question..... the world was once quite a bit warmer, then we had a HUGE ICE AGE. HUGE.    Science has recently learned that this HUGE ice age receded "rapidly" a MERE 11,000 years ago.  Mere in geological time, yes? 

What caused this?  Sudden warm up?   No answers.  

The Sahara desert, they have found, was once green and lush- then desert, then green and lush.. TWICE over according to the evidence.   Um- WE did not cause that!!!

We have ONLY now begun to understand our earth's precessional cycles.   Google about it.... it is fascinating. It is the cycle that Mayan long count calendar amazingly noted!!!!   The earth's tilt changes.... and it take 26,000 years to cycle... we have cycles!!! Earth cycles!!!

Read the website www.iceagenow.com

Read about Milankovitch cycle!   YES the earth might be changing and it's called, Adapt OR DIE.  The ancient Saharans had to move!  The Cherokee legends are fascinating... they say their people came from WEST of the mississippi... "they HAD to move to the lush hunting grounds east because of what was happening in their homeland"   and move they did..........and had to fight off the original inhabitants and take the whole land! 

We know there were LAKES out west now which are bone dry now...

cycles! The earth CYCLES.   And if it is getting warmer than right now???? Ever LOOK at the SIZE of Russia? Of Cananda???? where no one can live right now cause it's too cold????? We will have to migrate. It's the way of things.

Annettey19
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

That's true. But from what I've read, our emissions are increasing the speed. Even though the last ice age melted very rapidly in geological terms, animals still had years to migrate. Nowadays, with all the stresses we're putting on our resources and ecosystems right as this is happening, it could turn into a disaster. I do hope you're right though! Migration sounds fine to me.

Quoting JanineDeer:

I have not yet heard ONE of the global warming caused by US scientists answer the question..... the world was once quite a bit warmer, then we had a HUGE ICE AGE. HUGE.    Science has recently learned that this HUGE ice age receded "rapidly" a MERE 11,000 years ago.  Mere in geological time, yes? 

What caused this?  Sudden warm up?   No answers.  

The Sahara desert, they have found, was once green and lush- then desert, then green and lush.. TWICE over according to the evidence.   Um- WE did not cause that!!!

We have ONLY now begun to understand our earth's precessional cycles.   Google about it.... it is fascinating. It is the cycle that Mayan long count calendar amazingly noted!!!!   The earth's tilt changes.... and it take 26,000 years to cycle... we have cycles!!! Earth cycles!!!

Read the website www.iceagenow.com

Read about Milankovitch cycle!   YES the earth might be changing and it's called, Adapt OR DIE.  The ancient Saharans had to move!  The Cherokee legends are fascinating... they say their people came from WEST of the mississippi... "they HAD to move to the lush hunting grounds east because of what was happening in their homeland"   and move they did..........and had to fight off the original inhabitants and take the whole land! 

We know there were LAKES out west now which are bone dry now...

cycles! The earth CYCLES.   And if it is getting warmer than right now???? Ever LOOK at the SIZE of Russia? Of Cananda???? where no one can live right now cause it's too cold????? We will have to migrate. It's the way of things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Sure there are things we can do moving forward and for the future. but nothing can be done for the damage that has already been done and what we are currently dealing with.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting Anonymous:

Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

we can repair as much as possible.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure there are things we can do moving forward and for the future. but nothing can be done for the damage that has already been done and what we are currently dealing with.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)