Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Premasitcation - chewing for your baby... The benefits.

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM
  • 27 Replies

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/should-you-chew-your-childs-food/#axzz2L905jfnc

Advantages - Wikipedia 

[edit]Breastmilk supplement

Premastication is complementary to breastfeeding in the health practices of infants and young children, providing large amounts of carbohydrate and protein nutrients not always available through breast milk[3] and micronutrients such as ironzinc, and vitamin B12which are essential nutrients present mainly in meat.[22] Compounds in the saliva, such as haptocorrin also helps increase B12 availability by protecting the vitamin against stomach acid.

[edit]Infant intake of meat nutrient

Meats such as beef were likely premasticated during human evolution as hunter-gatherers. This animal-derived iron source is shown to confer benefits to young children (2 years onwards) by improving growth, motor, and cognitive functions.[23] In earlier times, premastication was an important practice that prevented infant iron deficiency.[24]

[edit]Immunological benefits

The infant can benefit from immunological resistance to infections and immunological hypersensitivity such as asthma can be inhibited through the antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, growth factors, and nutrient transporters in the mother's saliva.[3] Premastication may itself promote the development of infant immune systems through antibody generators in the mother's saliva, which help prevent the development of allergies in the infant.[20]

[edit]Parental enzymes

Premasticated foods allow for better infant digestion through the presence of saliva enzymes lacking in infants.[3] Alpha-amylase from maternal saliva aids in digestion of starches fed to a baby. This may be important in the developed nations since "...milk supplements containing starch are used frequently and if these are introduced into feeds at an early stage, digestion of the starch will require the action of salivary amylase..."[25] Children being fed mainly plant based diets by vegetarian parents also benefit from the more prevalent and different types of digestive enzymes in premasticated food.[26] Fat digesting lingual lipase in adult saliva can also help infant digestion and fat absorption since infants generally do not produce enough of these enzymes in their digestive tracts to efficiently process the fats they consume.[27]

[edit]Allergy prevention

Early infant feeding of premasticated foods such as eggs and nuts alongside breastfeeding, could help promote immune tolerance help moderate allergic responses. The practice of premastication is postulated to play an important role in the development of oral immunotolerance and help prevent the occurance of autoimmune diseases in the infant. Although the rise in allergic and autoimmune diseases in Western societies have not been directly linked to the decrease of premastication in these same societies, researchers believe that these two phenomena are related. [20][28]

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM

gross.

areles
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM

dear god, i'm so glad i had my kid 20 years ago. 

bonnie555
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:55 AM

It makes a lot of sense tho... You obviously didn't read the article, you replied 2 secs after the I posted.

bonnie555
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Lol, u could still try on a 20 yr old!

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:58 AM
Gag.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:58 AM

I dont know if you were responding to me or not? 

but I did read the whole thing, I dont have to agree and think it delightful just because I read it.  It's disgusting.

Quoting bonnie555:

It makes a lot of sense tho... You obviously didn't read the article, you replied 2 secs after the I posted.

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:58 AM

no.

Baby5678
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep I do it
shannzuno
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I did it a few times. Mostly in the begining of solids if he was staring my food down. I could see how some find it disgusting, i dont, but i also dont think i could ever do it every meal everyday. Im talking maybe 10 times. In those cases i didnt have something on me to do it. Well car keys, but i know my mouth is a hell of a lot cleaner then my carkeys
LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:04 AM
Saliva is a germ playground.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)