Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this too old fashioned?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies

Didn't it use to be tradition that a bride's parents pay for a wedding?  I always knew that wasn't going to happen and I don't know anyone whose parents did pay for their wedding.

did your parents?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM
It still happens. A few of my friends and family had their parents pay for theirs. I am not married and my parents will not be paying for mine, when I do. My sister paid for her own wedding also. My dad did give her I think 5grand though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dlnimo
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM
They helped out but we mostly paid for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  I had never lived with anyone, had graduated from college and grad school and earned my white dress-so yes they paid for it.  I will pay for my daughters-unless they decide to sepnd a few years shacked up-then they can come up with the money themselves.

Syphon
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM

My parents paid for my wedding and they also paid for my sister's wedding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM
I paid for my own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Wow, I think my whole wedding cost about $700

Quoting Jennyanne322:

It still happens. A few of my friends and family had their parents pay for theirs. I am not married and my parents will not be paying for mine, when I do. My sister paid for her own wedding also. My dad did give her I think 5grand though.

MeaganP
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Yes mind did
Jcothrine
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM

my parents paid for most of my first one..but were really really cheap about it.. i bought my own dress.. they paid for the cake and food.. the cake my mom had a friend of hers bake.. i have no idea how much it cost.. my mom made punch and the rest of "the food" which consisted of chocolates in the shape of wedding bells and stuff and mints....  she didnt' even hire someone to serve the cake and my aunt and cousin who had come to my wedding ended up being roped into it...

but i hadn't earned a white dress..and that was a big reason my parents didn't want to do it.. they almost didnt' want to come to my wedding....

whatever..

if i had 5,000 dollars i could have done my whole thing....

with a lot more class..

i only spent about 700 dollars on my wedding gown.. the cake was probably only about 150.. the chocolates and stuff were super cheap and the punch too..that kind of crappy sherbert punch...

it definitely was NOT my dream wedding..

JC

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I have boys, but I will contribute to their weddings.

stacy8606
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM
My parents helped us and my sisters too. Dh's parents also gave money to help but I think it is unrealistic to think the parents should pay with how expensive weddings are now!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)