Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm probably ignorant

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 4 Replies
I asked this in another post but it was deleted before I could see the quote. I'm honestly ignorant to the subject. The post was about add, odd, autism and other disorders. It seemed like the majority of replies started with "my son.. "

So my question is are boys more likely to be affected by these disorders? If so, why is that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

The ratio is about 4:1 in boys vs. girls with autism.  I don't know why that is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

From what I understand...a lot of developmental issues (which allows us to assume these are as well...though we don't know much about them) are linked to the X chromosome.  Because girls have two of these one often compensates for the other's mutations or how it is otherwise affected.  Since boys only have one, they have nothing to compensate it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

boys are more genetically susceptible to autism....no one knows why, just as they don't know why more and more kids are getting diagnosed with it...pharma doesn't care...they just care that parents are buying the meds to 'help' the malady. 

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Wow! That's crazy.

Quoting Anonymous:

From what I understand...a lot of developmental issues (which allows us to assume these are as well...though we don't know much about them) are linked to the X chromosome.  Because girls have two of these one often compensates for the other's mutations or how it is otherwise affected.  Since boys only have one, they have nothing to compensate it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured