Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm bleeding to death. Help! Tmi post

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
I had my daughter eight weeks ago. I got my first postpartum period NINE DAYS AGO and am still bleeding very heavily. Is that even normal? It's starting to scare me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Go to ER
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Honestly, it's been a LONG time since I had a baby so I don't remember. I'm sure other women here with have advice but of your that worried about it, I think the best thing to do is call your dr tomorrow morning. They will have the best answer. However, I do think it may be normal to have an irregular and heavy period right after giving birth, but still say call your dr. Good luck and congrats on the baby!
jibberjabby
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Call 911 Now (you may need an ambulance) If:

• Passed out
  • Very weak (can't stand)

Call Your Doctor Now (night or day) If:

• You feel weak or very sick
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Constant abdominal pain for more than 2 hours
  • Pregnant or could be pregnant  (e.g. missed last period)
  • Soaking 2 pads or tampons per hour for 2 or more hours
  • Soaking 1 pad or tampon per hour for 6 or more hours
  • Passed tissue (e.g. gray-white)
  • Pale skin (pallor) of new onset or worsening
Melbornj
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM
That is not that abnormal. Usually the first one is awful. Unless you are going regroup more than two pads an hour I wouldn't worry.
babiegurl47
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

That happened to me. I went to the er and they just told me its my period and it was catching up bc I hadnt had one for so long.

HappySquirrel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Mine normally last for three days with light to moderate flow. After my kids, the first one was crazy long and I didn't think I'd ever stop (really just 7 or 8 days of moderate/mildly heavy flow). I believe if it has been 9 days, you're still normal. In another day or two if it doesn't taper off, get your butt in to the doctor.

Then again, if you have a nurses hotline for your local hospital, it can't hurt to ask someone with real training.
mariesmama
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

i bled for a month after having my daughter they had to do an epesitomy though that might have something to do with it

m0mmyheather
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I had one too, and it's healed now. I bled for four weeks after I had her then a week or two later started my first period. I'm on the pill now so I don't know if I'm just having a bad first period or if my birth control is having an adverse effect.

Quoting mariesmama:

i bled for a month after having my daughter they had to do an epesitomy though that might have something to do with it

kagegirl
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Your body is probably just readjusting. Call your OB and make an appointment. Your hormones are probably just out of wack. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured