Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I find it Disturbing When...EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

New parents rush home with their baby after giving birth, esp a preemie, and rush to put the child alone in the crib...it just puzzles me to no end...my friend just had her grandchild born 6weeks early, and as soon as they got her home finally, they put her alone in the crib..  i just can't fathom putting a newborn alone in a crib as soon as i got home from the hospital- i wanted them on me or near me at all times.  

Edit: It's NOT about co-sleeping..it's about bringing your preemie home from the hospital after a life threatening birth, and rushing to park the child alone in a crib two doors down the hall  from yours....i don't  understand that mentality. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

interesting. I find it disturbing that people have family beds and everyone sleeps in the same bed all night. Doesn't make me right nor does it make them bad parents. JUst as people you are describing are not bad parents, you just do things differently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

It sounds like you are saying people put the baby in the crib, walk out and ignore the baby. We "co-slept", i.e. baby slept in bassinet next to us or in a moses basked on our bed. However, there is nothing wrong with putting the baby in the crib from day one. It isn't like they don't hug, snuggle etc with baby, they just prefer to let their baby sleep in a crib.  Nothing wrong with that.  May not be the way you would do it, but it is their family. Letting a baby sleep in a crib is not abandonement, it will not cause bonding issues etc.  Cribs are designed for the baby. Some do walk in and put baby in the crib because they have spent time picking out the crib and bedding and can't wait to see baby in that crib. I put my babies in their fresh made cribs when we got home and looked and admired baby sleeping, then picked baby up and did "co sleeping" until they were older.  

BeAmour
by Tonya on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Ds was in a bassinet until a few months and it was next to the bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lanesmommy26
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Our daughter was born at 35 weeks and required a light machine at home for the first month of her life. So my husband and I slept, sitting up, holding her while she layer on the light machine. That stupid jaundice was the most irritating thing. Then my daughter napped on my chest, in her swing, or in her vibrating seat for the second month. By that point her acid refux was so bad, she was already taking Prevacid at one month old, but she had to sleep sitting up or she would gasp for air. I used the hoppy to prop her up in the bassinet I kept by our bed that had soothing vibrations and sounds, but she hated not being pressed up against me, so I literally held her while we sleep for the second and third months of her life. I put her in her crib for the first time for a "nap" at 4 months old and posted the cute pic on FB. I was then blasted by all the older moms I was friends with, for not having her sleep in the crib from day one. I just said, "you don't know our family or our situation well enough to have any room to judge." The ridicule stopped and eventually my daughter slept in her crib. She was the worst sleeper and still is to this day, but I don't think that is a result of not putting her in her crib from the moment we got home from the hospital. ;) 

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Mine is going on 5 months and he is still by me. I don't co sleep, he's in his crib which is pressed up against my side of the bed lol I stick my hand in and hold his sometimes

MrsBridges19
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM

That's the only way mine would actually get sleep.  They were preemie and we tried bassinets, but they didn't sleep in them.  We didn't get any sleep, and they didn't get any sleep until we put them in their cribs.

TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I co sleep.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Not me.  From the moment all four of mine were sleeping in their own rooms, in their own beds. 

thickmamaof2
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I guess I'm the only one that read the OP and thought she was talking about the family bringing baby home and putting it in a crib and then going out to the living room to watch TV, eat, talk with family. Not go to bed. If that is the case then yes I think that is weird. I don't care about where people put their kids to sleep when they are sleeping though.
ajrjj05
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I never did that. My kids stayed with me until bed time.. In fact, we went to walmart first cause I had to get baby formula. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)