Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ah! Is my husband really this stupid ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My 9 year old son likes to have contests with my husband and his friends when my husband has the kids and I am at work. Usually it's stuff like eat a jalapeƱo , stupid stuff like that.

Well last night my son got the bright idea to bet Logan (my husbands friend) that he could chug a 64 oz glass of water first. And my husband agreed! Luckily I walked in within the first few ounces. I was irate! I said "don't you idiots know water intoxication can kill you!"

So i guess some people are not aware too much water can kill you and I'm talking this time to spread that knowledge
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I've chugged 64oz of water. I get really thirsty. Hell, I've even drank 8 16oz bottles at a time. I drink it and refill it and drink it. Still not dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

huh. I drink tons of water at a time and I'm not dead yet. Guess I'm just special.

They are talking about chugging it like beer. You can get a "water belly" and die. Not just drinking lots of water everyday.

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
64oz of water is not going to kill you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you're offended.. even though you're the one who started calling him names first.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband is educated. He has a business degree and he owns a drilling company.

They do act ridiculous sometimes but they are just having fun with my son.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your husband sounds like an uneducated overgrown child

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
hypocrisy at it's finest.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like you're offended.. even though you're the one who started calling him names first.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband is educated. He has a business degree and he owns a drilling company.

They do act ridiculous sometimes but they are just having fun with my son.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your husband sounds like an uneducated overgrown child

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't really think a 64 ounce container of water can kill you, do you?

You don't REALLY think that's what 'water intoxication' is, DO YOU?

64 ounces of water is EIGHT CUPS, and that is NOT going to kill someone, not even a kid. 

The correct term is 'hyponatremia'  there really IS no such thing as 'water intoxication'.

Hyponatremia occurs when people drink far more water than that.   If a person floods themselves with water for hours and hours and days, especially if they have a disease of the kidneys or other organ, yes, they can get sick from doing so.  I've seen a couple mentally ill people and one person with dementia, get sick from that.   They all were drinking water in huge volumes for days and days and days. 

But  a healthy kid drop over instantaneously dead from drinking a 64 ounce container of water?  NO.

We regularly drank that much when kids and we didn't all die.   In fact none of us died from gulping water.

We would rather often, down a half gallon of water(8 cups, 64 ounces) of water after playing in the yard or running or bicycling.    No fatalities.

Moral of the story - when you read an article on the internet, use a FEW critical thinking skills.

jibberjabby
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM

In addition, the average healthy person should ingest no more than approximately 240 milliliters, or close to 8 ounces, in roughly an hour giving the body adequate time to absorb use and excrete the water effectively.

http://voices.yahoo.com/water-intoxication-much-water-too-much-201296.html?cat=5

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Really? I wasn't worried about my husbands friend, I was concerned about my child. And no I don't think he would be better off dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well wouldn't they be better off?

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM

nonsense, if that was true we'd all be dead.

Divalicious103
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM
It's if you drink too much too quickly
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
It's also called hyperhydration as hyponatremia can be caused my many other things besides over drinking.
There is no set amount that will kill you. The main problem is how fast you drink it.

My son is small for his age and he was chugging. He was not exercising or do any other activity either as you described in your scenario of drinking water in excess.

Quoting lancet98:

You don't really think a 64 ounce container of water can kill you, do you?

You don't REALLY think that's what 'water intoxication' is, DO YOU?

64 ounces of water is EIGHT CUPS, and that is NOT going to kill someone, not even a kid. 

The correct term is 'hyponatremia'  there really IS no such thing as 'water intoxication'.

Hyponatremia occurs when people drink far more water than that.   If a person floods themselves with water for hours and hours and days, especially if they have a disease of the kidneys or other organ, yes, they can get sick from doing so.  I've seen a couple mentally ill people and one person with dementia, get sick from that.   They all were drinking water in huge volumes for days and days and days. 

But  a healthy kid drop over instantaneously dead from drinking a 64 ounce container of water?  NO.

We regularly drank that much when kids and we didn't all die.   In fact none of us died from gulping water.

We would rather often, down a half gallon of water(8 cups, 64 ounces) of water after playing in the yard or running or bicycling.    No fatalities.

Moral of the story - when you read an article on the internet, use a FEW critical thinking skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)